I love being the 5th Owner of My Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nah, I say it all out of love. I had an 80's Cutlass. Love that body style from all manufacturers. But you know what? It was a total piece of crap. But I loved it, and I worked on it weekly to keep her running. But yeah, probably looked like that from the factory :tounge:

haha killin me lol.

Replaced the ignition switch and it died on the way to my dads shop like usual. He racked it and cleaned/adjusted the crank sensor for me, along with fixing my mysterious blinkers and tail lights, blown wheel cylinder, and A/C (the dude is seriously a diagnostic genius)...it did not die on the 30 minute drive home. Im not going to get too excited about it until it has a ton more trouble free miles but this is the first highway trip it has had without an issue.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
'k, it's a long shot - but you might try pulling the tank vent hose from the charcoal canister and see if it helps.

I had a '77 GMC Sprint that would do what you're describing and took the longest time to figure it out. Turns out the combination of a non-vented gas cap and a clogged charcoal canister would allow the fuel pump to create enough of a vacuum in the tank until it starved. Usually was able to start right up as soon as I coasted to the shoulder and hit the ignition switch again, then would repeat a few miles farther down the road.

YMMV and all of that, but if it works it's a cheap and easy fix.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
'k, it's a long shot - but you might try pulling the tank vent hose from the charcoal canister and see if it helps.

I had a '77 GMC Sprint that would do what you're describing and took the longest time to figure it out. Turns out the combination of a non-vented gas cap and a clogged charcoal canister would allow the fuel pump to create enough of a vacuum in the tank until it starved. Usually was able to start right up as soon as I coasted to the shoulder and hit the ignition switch again, then would repeat a few miles farther down the road.

YMMV and all of that, but if it works it's a cheap and easy fix.

That's a good thought man ive seen diesels that have had issues with their gas caps not venting which would caused it to starve out and die. I am able to log my fuel pressure and never loose it so its doubtful. The air fuel ratio does go crazy high just prior to "the event" so maybe I am losing fuel. I also lose all spark just after which makes it look like an electrical deal but then again that could just be the ECM's response to running lean. :smash:

Latest posts

Top Bottom