I need..er..want a Battlerifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was all set to say get "the greatest single battle implement ever devised" and several cans of Greek M2 ball, till you said hog hunting. At that point I'd have to agree with the 6.8 SPCII upper. The 6.8 is Bill Wilson's favorite hog caliber and it carries plenty of energy for deer sized game at reasonable distances. I built one with a 16" Wilson Recon profile barrel and it will shoot Hornady 110gr V-MAX into one hole at 100 yards. I topped it with a Leupold VX-R 2-7X33 Ballistic Firedot in a LaRue mount. I can't imagine a better hog setup than that.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a PTR91 GI and have had a couple couple DPMS 7.62 rifles. I wouldn't want to carry my dpms sass around all day hunting but the PtR would be fine for hog hunting or anything else where .308 firepower and ease of carry .is desired

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was all set to say get "the greatest single battle implement ever devised" and several cans of Greek M2 ball, till you said hog hunting. At that point I'd have to agree with the 6.8 SPCII upper. The 6.8 is Bill Wilson's favorite hog caliber and it carries plenty of energy for deer sized game at reasonable distances. I built one with a 16" Wilson Recon profile barrel and it will shoot Hornady 110gr V-MAX into one hole at 100 yards. I topped it with a Leupold VX-R 2-7X33 Ballistic Firedot in a LaRue mount. I can't imagine a better hog setup than that.

Hogs is what mine was purchased for! :D

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hawgs??
Hell ya hunt Hawgs by grabbing their back legs an flippin em over, why do you think its called ...Hawg Tying???
I jest ( partially)
I spent a lot of time looking at the DPMS LR308, bought one , scoped it , lazer bore sighted it, never got to shoot it.
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but I did get my $$$ back out of it.
It felt good in my hands, balanced, pointed easy.....but ???
Maybe look at the new LR308, its supposed to be lighter ,better ,quicker...Good Luck

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have all of the rifles you mention as interested in. Each has it's advantages, but for your needs, I don't think you will beat the GII Recon. I wrote a review of my SASS a while back. It's still going strong. If you want to shoot it suppressed, plan on getting an adjustable gas block though.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?194819-DPMS-GII-SASS-308-Review

The PTR is the only other one I have a scope on. With a claw mount, the scope sits up pretty high and makes a good cheek weld difficult. In my opinion, the M1A should only be shot with iron sights and a sling, because that just cool. The FAL is my least favorite to shoot...purely a personal thing because it's a great rifle.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I owned an Israeli Heavy Barrel FAL back during the early years of the AWB. I bought it from my girlfriends uncle. Shot it a couple times and decided I didn't like it and sold it back to him. Biggest gun mistake I ever made.

Latest posts

Top Bottom