I say good for Quentin Tarantino

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it came down to a choice, which would you rather, a ban on violence in movies/games or a ban on what the other side refers to as assault weapons and high cap magazines? Those may be the choices before it's all said and done. When the powers that be are discussing violence in the media they're not discussing assault weapons. It might come down to giving ground on either the 1st amendment or the 2nd amendment.

Every right is the most important, which is to say every right is equal... There is no one above any other.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gets old listening to people blame the worlds problems on music, movies, and video games. I do not think the entertainment industry is the problem.

I can't control my kids and keep them from playing violent video games. They won't listen to me so we must ban the games and censor music lyrics. That way I don't have to be the bad person. My children will still like me. I love them too much to resort to capital punishment. God forbid they know what it is like to have a sore backside for an hour. I will just take their phone away for 24 hours. That will teach them.

If people want to know why children today are disrespectful and out of control. They need to look at the parents. I don't think it is the generation. We just hear about it more because of today's media access.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the problem here does lay with society. We've come to accept hypocrisy as a standard. "Entertainers" blame guns for violence. Gun owners in turn blame entertainment. Both blame prescription drugs. In fact, none of this is true. Homicidal maniacs tend to be drawn towards violent entertainment and guns. They have emotional problems that family and society try to counteract with prescription drugs. None of these are causation, they are merely associations to the central core, which is the homicidal maniac themselves.

Another logical fallacy is that anyone who uses prescription drugs, watches violent entertainment or likes to shoot guns is by association, also prone to being a homicidal maniac. It couldn't be further from the truth.

We need to focus on the problem, not the associations. What America is doing now is akin to saying the flu vaccine causes the flu. :(

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many does it take to form a pattern rather than casual associations?

SSRI school shootings
http://www.ssristories.com/index.php?p=school

First, I think you're incorrectly using "causal association". It would be a causal association if SSRI's were clinically proven to cause violence. The pattern was acknowledged in my post. Violent people tend to become patients for which SSRI's are used as a treatment for their mental issues. That doesn't mean that SSRI's caused their violence. If they were perfectly normal to begin with, why would they ever require treatment with SSRI's? They aren't. Tens of millions of people in this country take prescription medications to deal with social, mental and chemical issues that manifest as daily issues in their lives. You point to a list of 65 episodes of violence and try to infer a link that's causal? That would fall well below the statistical margin of error for the study pool, which is the entirety of the population that takes SSRI's on a daily basis.

If your point is to infer that SSRI's are present factors in school shootings, I'd say that gasoline is a present factor in most car wrecks. A far more logical inference would be that perhaps for this small percentage of people treated with SSRI's, perhaps they are not in fact a good candidate for treatment with anything other than iron or lead?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also imagine that the majority of them are also right-handed

Being right handed is a natural state to most people(right handed majority). Being under the influence of these drugs is not a natural state.

[On March 22, 2004 the FDA published a Public Health Advisory that reiterates several of these side effects and states (in part) "Anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, impulsivity, akathisia (severe restlessness), hypomania, and mania have been reported in adult and pediatric patients being treated with antidepressants for major depressive disorder as well as for other indications, both psychiatric and non-psychiatric." (Click Links button at bottom of this page for a direct link to this FDA Warning.)

On September 14, 2004 the FDA added a Black Box Warning in regard to antidepressants & suicidality in those under age 18.

On September 14, 2004 the FDA mandated that pharmacies provide to all parents or guardians for those younger than 18 an Antidepressant Patient Medication Guide. This guide reads (in part) "Call healthcare provider right away if you or your family member has any of the following symptoms: Acting aggressive, being angry, or violent & acting on dangerous impulses." This Antidepressant Patient Medication Guide also states "Never stop an antidepressant medicine without first talking to a healthcare provider. Stopping an antidepressant medicine suddenly can cause other symptoms." (Click Links button at bottom of this page for a direct link to this FDA Antidepressant Guide.)

On December 13, 2006, the Black Box Warning for suicidality was updated to include those under age 25. The Black Box Warning is included in the insert to the drugs and in the Physicians' Desk reference.

The Physicians' Desk Reference lists the following adverse reactions (side effects) to antidepressants among a host of other physical and neuropsychiatric effects. None of these adverse reactions (side effects) is listed as Rare. They are all listed as either Frequent or as Infrequent:

Manic Reaction (Mania, e.g., Kleptomania, Pyromania, Dipsomania, Nymphomania)
Hypomania (e.g., poor judgment, over spending, impulsivity, etc.)
Abnormal Thinking
Hallucinations
Personality Disorder
Amnesia
Agitation
Psychosis
Abnormal Dreams
Emotional Lability (Or Instability)
Alcohol Abuse and/or Craving
Hostility
Paranoid Reactions
Confusion
Delusions
Sleep Disorders
Akathisia (Severe Inner Restlessness)
Discontinuation (Withdrawal) Syndrome
Impulsivity

http://www.ssristories.com/index.html

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Being right handed is a natural state to most people(right handed majority). Being under the influence of these drugs is not a natural.

What about being disturbed and violent? Were there no spree killers before SSRI treatment? I would imagine there were violent, mentally ill people long before these medications. These meds are kinda like putting extra stress on a structure that's already not up to code.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys do understand that most of the side effects listed for SSRI's are also symptoms of the mental illnesses they treat right?

Mal,

My waining youth has little to do with you acting like an illogical hypocrit. Also, M&M's rock! Especially the penutbutter M&M's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom