I say good for Quentin Tarantino

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, I think you're incorrectly using "causal association". It would be a causal association if SSRI's were clinically proven to cause violence. The pattern was acknowledged in my post. Violent people tend to become patients for which SSRI's are used as a treatment for their mental issues. That doesn't mean that SSRI's caused their violence. If they were perfectly normal to begin with, why would they ever require treatment with SSRI's? They aren't. Tens of millions of people in this country take prescription medications to deal with social, mental and chemical issues that manifest as daily issues in their lives. You point to a list of 65 episodes of violence and try to infer a link that's causal? That would fall well below the statistical margin of error for the study pool, which is the entirety of the population that takes SSRI's on a daily basis.

If your point is to infer that SSRI's are present factors in school shootings, I'd say that gasoline is a present factor in most car wrecks. A far more logical inference would be that perhaps for this small percentage of people treated with SSRI's, perhaps they are not in fact a good candidate for treatment with anything other than iron or lead?
Not only TSA agent, expert in the medical field on his days off.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Opium and Heroin are NOT the same thing, they are both derived from the Poppy Plant, actually a specific Genus but I wont go into that, The fact is that Street Heroin today has anywhere from 20-50% filler garbage in order to make more profit. That is NOT the same as opium which is the Milk of the poppy dried and smoked in PURE FORM, big freaking difference in effect and quality, which to me equals ability to maintain a lifestyle while using habitually.

Look at Columbia, as soon as you get into the mountains they drink coca leaf tea so aid their bodies in the uptake of oxygen, that is not the same thing as snorting lines of cocaine with 30% baking soda or poweder or whatever it is they mix in it. I don't know a WHOLE lot about artificially created drugs, unless they come from plants, then I can differentiate the ACTUAL drugs people think are the same. Comparing Pure opium and street heroin is like comparing Cutty sark and Macallan Single-Malt.

Sorry, my mistake in the differences between the two drugs. I was speaking to the issue of creative people using hard drugs.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know. We use simulators to train people for certain tasks, and they are essentially big video games. Get someone who is bent, who can say?

I wonder what Hollywierd will do if somehow they ban guns and violence. It would turn that place into a ghost town. Two cartoons a year and a few chick flicks.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe not you, but society is getting worse. This has been making the rounds lately. Care to discuss? I call it a Capitalism trainwreck. Neither view can be admitted wrong, or the money is lost.

3.bp.blogspot.com__CR48RUGAe20_UNla__HrFXI_AAAAAAAAT6M_T_szOOXba728010984ab022f8a9a7fe49f63c4e.jpg

I don't agree society is getting worse, it has just gained more exposure. Time is relative, go back 150 years and ask a black man in texas about how good society was in his time. Or even before that ask the slaves of Egypt how good they had it building the pyramids. Or the Japanese Americans in the 40's for that matter. Society has gotten much more civil, it just seems worse because Americans have this idea in their head of the "good 'ol days" where life was like Leave it to Beaver. But that never existed first of all, and second of all that may seem like a long time to Americans but that's because America is a young country, families in Europe have had grudges longer than we've been a country. It seems worse because every event that happens big or small gets exposure and it goes back to the saying the nail that sticks out gets hammered. It takes one moron to make things look bad while the other 7 billion people on earth aren't bad at all. "The way things used to be" was a short period of time +\- ten years and even that was more made up propaganda than truth, yet everyone refers to it as if it was the beginning of time and compares things to it. It's like saying there was no reports of Rape in the 1720's so the 1720's were a great time lets go back to it. It still happened, more often than today, it just wasn't as openly reported as it is today.
The American fundamentalist is also the downfall to our country, the one who thinks our way is the universal way and everyone else is wrong, AKA xenophobia and ethnocentrism.
As far as that picture goes, an advertisement is totally different than a movie. It's like saying well bleach and coke are both liquids, so if you drink bleach and die, the same will happen with coke. When no, the only thing they have in common is they are both liquids. Well the only thing a commercial and a movie have in common is they are both on film. I may see a commerical for a Ferrari, does that mean I can go buy one? No. I may see a movie where murder happens, does that mean I can go kill someone? No.
Just my $.02
I'm curious as to your thoughts. And just fyi this wasn't a tangent against you personally, just my opinion on the subject.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Violent movies may help give a person ideas on how to kill someone, but to say it made you do it or is responsible for you doing it is like saying you flew a jet on Battle field 3 so you know how to fly one in real life, it may help you know what they look like and the sounds they make but that's about it. And you can also find that in a book or by going to an air show, so should those be banned too if the problem is people flying jets? People who want to fly jets, or analogy aside kill people, will do it no matter what video games they play or movies they watch. So don't take away my right because they mimick what they saw on a show. Get them help. Mental health screenings, something. It's a tough pill to swallow that most of us are defunct in some type of way but the human body is not designed perfectly or else we'd never have to age and die. Mental health is the main issue here. Ar's are just a tool someone can use to kill, so are their own bare hands, so is any object. You can't ban everything.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't agree society is getting worse, it has just gained more exposure. Time is relative, go back 150 years and ask a black man in texas about how good society was in his time. Or even before that ask the slaves of Egypt how good they had it building the pyramids. Or the Japanese Americans in the 40's for that matter. Society has gotten much more civil, it just seems worse because Americans have this idea in their head of the "good 'ol days" where life was like Leave it to Beaver. But that never existed first of all, and second of all that may seem like a long time to Americans but that's because America is a young country, families in Europe have had grudges longer than we've been a country. It seems worse because every event that happens big or small gets exposure and it goes back to the saying the nail that sticks out gets hammered. It takes one moron to make things look bad while the other 7 billion people on earth aren't bad at all. "The way things used to be" was a short period of time +\- ten years and even that was more made up propaganda than truth, yet everyone refers to it as if it was the beginning of time and compares things to it. It's like saying there was no reports of Rape in the 1720's so the 1720's were a great time lets go back to it. It still happened, more often than today, it just wasn't as openly reported as it is today.
The American fundamentalist is also the downfall to our country, the one who thinks our way is the universal way and everyone else is wrong, AKA xenophobia and ethnocentrism.
As far as that picture goes, an advertisement is totally different than a movie. It's like saying well bleach and coke are both liquids, so if you drink bleach and die, the same will happen with coke. When no, the only thing they have in common is they are both liquids. Well the only thing a commercial and a movie have in common is they are both on film. I may see a commerical for a Ferrari, does that mean I can go buy one? No. I may see a movie where murder happens, does that mean I can go kill someone? No.
Just my $.02
I'm curious as to your thoughts. And just fyi this wasn't a tangent against you personally, just my opinion on the subject.

While people change, statistics stay the same. Society is not getting worse... Society is getting bigger,thus the same small percentage of douchers is out there, but due to the sheer numbers, we are seeing this small percentage more prevalent within the society.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm feeling the urge to leave this right here.

Columbine, and everything after it all started at the 12:45 mark of this little flick. Warning--explicit language.

So what you're saying is.... Winona Ryder caused Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold to kill their peers? Because I think the nonstop bullying of two mentally ill, chemically unbalanced teenage boys who never received adequate treatment caused it. A "normal" person copes in a more acceptable way, these boys didn't have that coping mechanism so they did it their own way, which seemed okay to do due to their undiagnosed illness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While people change, statistics stay the same. Society is not getting worse... Society is getting bigger,thus the same small percentage of douchers is out there, but due to the sheer numbers, we are seeing this small percentage more prevalent within the society.

This is what I was trying to say... just took the scenic route.

Latest posts

Top Bottom