Identity Theft/Consumer Fraud, who here has been a victim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had my identity stolen and a few years later had my debit card number stolen. I had a few visits with a investigator on the identity deal, the guy was a career criminal and was caught and put in jail. The stolen debit card number was easy, bank called and asked if I was in California buying stuff, told them no and they said they would take care of it. Was handled within 24 hours.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my credit card# used several times w/o my permission. MasterCard called me and sent new cc cards overnight. They notified me about it.

Rick417

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wifes debit card number was stolen a few yeas ago. The thieves spent about $3000 before we figured it out. Unfortunately, we only had about $2000 in the account. We did get our money back but never the overdraft charges.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had several instances that were not the result of the individual using my name / info, but because he had the same name (including same middle initial), and was skirting various laws, he was hard to find. I had legal servers coming to my office. I had a deputy attempt to arrest me until she saw me and said, "Oh, the one I'm looking for is young and slim". That one kinda hurt my feelings! And the IRS filed a lien on my home for failure to pay employment taxes. It took intervention by my US Rep to even get to speak with the IRS investigator that filed the lien. When I went to her office, we got it corrected. I asked her why she filed against me, and her response was that she found me in the tax rolls, called the guy and asked him if that was his address and he told her no, so she assumed he was lying and filed the lien!

I received a call from a lady in Tulsa that was in the process of selling a million dollar piece of property to this guy, and needed to talk to him. She could only find my listing. I told her what I knew about the fellow. I received a very nice thank-you card from her a few days later, after she cancelled the sale.

At some point, he went to South America, and when he returned he was arrested and the last I knew, was visiting one of our federal country clubs.

Identity theft doesn't have to be intentional.

sethk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife had some credit issues in her early 20s because the computers thought she'd walked on a bunch credit card debt when she was 11 and was using a middle eastern psudonym. By the time we got around to looking into it, the credit gods had decided that it wasn't her after all.

Along the way, I've learned a lot about identity security, so if any of you have concerns about identity theft, just PM me with your social security number, date of birth, and mothers maiden name, and I can help you out. :)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to the movie at the Warren one day and my debit card was declined. I knew that I had money in the bank. I called the bank and they said that a they had received an unusual charge to my card and cancelled it. Seems someone in Spain had gone to a hobby shop purchased $1200.00 of merchandise.

I told them I was in Moore and was trying to go to a movie. Next day I went to the bank, signed some papers and they issued me a new card and account number. That was it.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine was stolen mail from the mail box. Credit card access checks totaling $4000 written against my credit card.
Own was used to purchase a car from express credit auto.
3 people identified and prosecuted.
The other one was dumpster diving where my name and address was used on some one else's check after their name was washed off.
1 person identified and charged .
D
Though both crimes occurred in Oklahoma city and a total of 4suspects were identified, ocpd white collar was useless,
Mid west city pd and Oklahoma county took control and finished investigation and prosecuted the 4

Lessons learned. Convenience checks with credit card statements are bad juju. All credit card statements are now electronic, but I still get convenience checks in the mail.

On your trash, tear off all labels that have your name and mailing address.....

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I also reported all the suspect information to the post office inspector...........and crickets.
I was amazed at the lack of response from both ocpd and the postal inspector as the suspects were identified so it was a criminal bird nest on the ground.
Thank you mwcpd and Oklahoma county

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My discover number was stolen 2 different times.

The 1st, was used in SAMs in TN to purchase $10k worth of cigarettes and a tank of gas. I found the charges while checking my online account the day after it happened. I called discover and found the store where the purchase was made. I called the store and notified the manager who quickly found the video of the perp and the account information. I filed a police report but nothing happened that I know of.

The second was with discover as well. I received a fraud alert emai and I immediatly called discover. I was asking what was going on and discover asked if I had just called which I replied no. Apperently the perp already called and placed a travel alert on the card which means I would be traveling with the card. Anyway, the perp tried to make some larger purchases at Walmart, which were denied.

I disputed the charges and had no out of pocket costs.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our Master card has been compromised twice in the last two years, and the pay pal once.
All have been taken care of, but the last one on the Master Card was somebody booking a cruise out of Florida. The cruise was upcoming. I called the CC company and said you have these thieves dead to rights as when they check in, you can bust them.

Never got a straight answer, but basically they didn't want to mess with it.

So, that means their overhead is increasing, and our interest rates will follow? Why wouldn't they want to procecute?

The other incident with the CC was somebody in New York buying horse feed at a Tractor Supply. How did I find out? It showed up on my end of year purchase report that I get from them when using the Farm Tax card. They used a different number and my CC #. Again they have caught them on paper, but did nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom