I'm buggin' out!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious about a reel but without a rod. You can pick up a very light 5-piece fly rod that weighs next to nothing.

I've been cutting things out that weigh a couple of grams I removed some of the zippers on the inside pockets of my backpacks, I took the cardboard tube out of the inside of the one roll of toilet paper that I am taking(my one luxury)But it has many other practical uses,I removed all unnessesary packaging, tags and labels...ect.
I just figured that a willow branch would do the job.

Henry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why take any safety or emergency gear? Leave string, rope, fish hooks, firearms, protective clothing, space blanket, and especially food & water home.
Oh, BTW, good luck

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to smash your dreams. You only live once, so I say go for it. Just take enough survival equipment, food, water straw etc... Just be prepared in case something happens and enjoy your trip.

I think there's something wrong with someone who doesn't have a self discovery period in life. You will always remember the trip, so don't let the naysayers talk you out of it.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thoughts about this....

-What if something happens to your wife/family while you are gone?
-Will the world change to suit your liking as soon as you return from your vision quest?
-Your dog is going to starve
-Won't it be hard to "escape" if you run into all of these "talkers" going on day hikes along your route?

Sounds like an interesting idea, something I'd be open to on a much smaller scale. But I think you're just avoiding the problem that you seek to remedy. When you return, the world will be the same as you left it. The only difference is that (hopefully) you'll be in better shape and maybe that'll make things feel better?
The way I look at it is that I have 63.5 miles to observe the situation make my decisions accordingly, after that I'm in it for the long haul.
I will worry about my family and nothing in the world will change(for the better)
My dog is a jack russell, he eats about a pound of food a year.

---ETA: Also, how will you check OSA while you're out there?
Oh..I did'nt think about that.........Oh well, trips off

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to smash your dreams. You only live once, so I say go for it. Just take enough survival equipment, food, water straw etc... Just be prepared in case something happens and enjoy your trip.

I think there's something wrong with someone who doesn't have a self discovery period in life. You will always remember the trip, so don't let the naysayers talk you out of it.

CAN I HAVE AN "AMEN"

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy spending time out on the family ranch. There were many times when I was at the end of my rope and would just grab the tent, a fishing pole, 22 pistol, knife, book of matches and just hang out all weekend. I took myself away from everything and it let me clear my head. It was relaxing and peaceful. Also enjoyed taking road trips with no destination. Just point the car in one direction and go. I'll admit, I don't understand putting my life in danger to prove something to myself or to feel alive. I do understand, however wanting to get away to clear your head and pull yourself together. Maybe one day when I reach your age the simple things like a weekend out in the woods or a weekend drive won't do the trick anymore. Maybe doing that stuff all along might prevent me reaching the point you have.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find what you're looking for. Here's to finding your answers and a safe return

On a side note, you should keep a journal so that later on you can look back and remember.
My man Otis!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious about a reel but without a rod. You can pick up a very light 5-piece fly rod that weighs next to nothing.

I would second this. These rods pack very easy. The graphite is extremely light weight. It will be very unlikely that you will be able to get a fly or worm etc out in front of a fish with just a stick. It will be very frustrating for you to see trout feeding in a beaver pond 15-20 feet away and you have no way of reaching them. I've hiked may areas in Colorado and always had luck catching small trout, but I highly doubt I would have had success without the rod. Just my little bit of advice. Good luck on your trip!

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...The only variation is that you are going to subject dozens of rescuers and LE, Fire, Volunteers, etc to untold hours of hardship looking for your dumbass if you happen to snap an ankle or slip and fall in a crevasse or just flat out cant hack it...

Or the they die or are injured while looking for you somewhere on the 127 mile stretch. I have a buddy from the service who broke his back looking for a lost hiker up in the Cascade Mts. I bet he wished that the lost hiker had a emergency beacon.

Also...A lot of people don't realize that their life is in more danger every time they step out their front door than mine will be out there. Out there I'm not going to get killed by a drunk driver, a carjacker, a home invaider or some crackhead trying to get his next fix.

True, but those only injured by a drunk driver don't die from only a broken leg, or from a concussion from a carjacker. You will.

I would seriously suggest a small personal-sized water filter for your drinking water. That way you don't have to stop and set up a fire every time you need water. You can get these just about anywhere and they will replace the lid to a normal canteen. They filter 100 gallons of water, so you can just fill up in a clean stream and drink. Having lived in Colorado for many years, I can tell you that no, the water in the mountains is not pure, far from it. decades of mining continue to leach harmful contaminants into the water, not to mention the bacteria and Giardia and Crytosporidium, which will certainly ruin your day. You can't trust the water, even at 12,000 feet. heat it till it boils (as soon as it starts boiling, you can remove it from the heat, all the organisms are dead by the time the water begins to boil, let it cool then pout it into your filter canteen for perfect water.

120 years ago diarrhea was the #1 cause of death in America, due to dehydration, you can't get all of that back, fast enough, orally, take some Immodium AD.

I would HIGHLY suggest you at least take a GPS beacon. If you slip and fall, get bit by a rattlesnake or get deathly ill, you will need it. Being obtuse won't comfort your family. "Well, he died hiking in the mountains, but he did it with respect to those that went before him and forsake all electronics", yeah, that's worth it.... I know I won't change your mind if your wife can't, but I guarantee you that the Donner party would have LOVED to have had a GPS or a cell phone, particualrly the ones that got ate.......

This +1

Good luck, but take a beacon, don't make others pay because you can't trust yourself. Why else would the thought of having an emergency beacon or phone cause you such distress. You don't trust your own will power not to push the button when things get tough. That's why ex-smokers are so militant against smoking. They don't have the will power to fight it on their own, so everyone must stop so they won't be tempted.

If your honest with 'finding yourself', you'll find that what I've written is true. If not, it was a nice walk, but total waste of time except for maybe a personal 'pat on the back' for being better than others.

Honestly, if you go ahead and do it without a beacon or phone, I still hope you come back safe. Rather arrogant or not, still make it back. If you do get in trouble and a searcher is hurt or killed, don't come back on this forum unless you want me to post this fact after every post you make. Destroying an innocent's life due to arrogance is not a forgivable act in my book. Take care.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been cutting things out that weigh a couple of grams I removed some of the zippers on the inside pockets of my backpacks, I took the cardboard tube out of the inside of the one roll of toilet paper that I am taking(my one luxury)But it has many other practical uses,I removed all unnessesary packaging, tags and labels...ect.
I just figured that a willow branch would do the job.

I am gonna call BS on this one. removing zippers? the cardboard tube from the toilet paper? That actually has some use.
A willow branch for a fishin' pole? where are you going? Mayberry? Seriously, dude, a 6 ounce collapsible fishing pole is more practical than carry two handguns and all the ammo that is required for two. I understand the reasoning behind two guns, but catching trout with a "willow branch and reel" is not going to be easy. Living off the land is one thing, go about it in a reckless many is just stupid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom