Info for you to use when people claim the US was founded as a christian nation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This entire thread is just caricatures and catechisms.

A person can point out, factually, that a significant majority of the Founders were Christians of some kind. That does not mean that they wanted a government that validated or legitimized a particular religion or sect of one.

A person can point out, factually, that the first amendment is very clear about the conceptual separation of church and state, and that the Founders were very much against government application and legitimization of religion. That does not mean that any and all references to a particular cultural tradition must be scoured from government.

You have to keep in mind, that even though the Declaration of Independence was signed by 32 Episcopalians, 13 Congregationalists, 12 Presbyterians, 2 Quakers, 2 Unitarians, and 1 Catholic, these were people who had a relatively recent understanding of the 30 Years War -- probably the most devastating war in European history. Specifically, that the war only happened because political leaders were allowed to enforce their religious doctrines as law.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
at least be honest about what your are implying... let the bigot out full force!!

Maybe that's not what you meant..... I'm not sure.

How though, is it that the absence of god in our nation caused 9/11??

I am so confused by this please explain

Sounds like you mind is already made. I feel no need to defend myself. I'll let you think what you want.

To the OP, I apologize for throwing the thread off course.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you mind is already made. I feel no need to defend myself. I'll let you think what you want.

To the OP, I apologize for throwing the thread off course.

I will reiterate... I am so confused. Was the absence of god responsible for 9/11 or not?

SirROFL... I had forgotten about the 30 years' war. That was a horrific time...

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing all of that up for me, I totally understand now... I'm not going to go back and forth posting links to various sites. It's arguments like yours which just go to prove how far America has fallen from God, from the Federal Government to Hollywood. You don't want God in your lives or your country, congratulations, your getting what you want. The next time we see towers fall at the hands of terrorist or a nuke detonate in a large population, don't ask where God was, because as a nation we have banned Him.

Actually, you are the one with flawed vision. It was at the hands of terrorists that the towers fell in the name of God, not because we have lost our faith. I am Christian, I believe in god, but that absolutely zero to do with how the country is run. There are a lot of other folks out there with differing opinions on the matter. Religion is between you and your god nobody else. Countless wars and atrocities have been perpetrated in the name of God for very ungodly purposes. All governments founded in religion eventually turn to darkness, that is one of the things that the founders were trying to get away from. I don't give two craps about your relationship with god, that is between you and him, just like my relationship is between me and my god. See how that works? You would seem to push your views on everybody else because you think they are righteous. How is that acceptable?

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This entire thread is just caricatures and catechisms.

A person can point out, factually, that a significant majority of the Founders were Christians of some kind. That does not mean that they wanted a government that validated or legitimized a particular religion or sect of one.

A person can point out, factually, that the first amendment is very clear about the conceptual separation of church and state, and that the Founders were very much against government application and legitimization of religion. That does not mean that any and all references to a particular cultural tradition must be scoured from government.

You have to keep in mind, that even though the Declaration of Independence was signed by 32 Episcopalians, 13 Congregationalists, 12 Presbyterians, 2 Quakers, 2 Unitarians, and 1 Catholic, these were people who had a relatively recent understanding of the 30 Years War -- probably the most devastating war in European history. Specifically, that the war only happened because political leaders were allowed to enforce their religious doctrines as law.

I do not understand why the Christian fundamentalists cannot grasp this concept. Just because the government was designed to be secular does not in any way affect your own religious beliefs, values or ability to worship. In fact, it empowers you to do so without fear of persecution, until that moment when you force your views onto others.

I firmly believe that the founders were divinely inspired to create this great nation that has changed the world for the better. God does not want wars to be waged in his name, he certainly has the capability to smite whomever he chooses. It does not diminish god to accept the beliefs of others, in fact, that is what Jesus taught. This is a secular nation populated by religious men. That is a good thing, not a bad one.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not understand why the Christian fundamentalists cannot grasp this concept. Just because the government was designed to be secular does not in any way affect your own religious beliefs, values or ability to worship. In fact, it empowers you to do so without fear of persecution, until that moment when you force your views onto others.

Maybe I should try to win a county clerk seat, then convert to Islam and refuse to sign or let anyone else sign any of you filthy infidel's marriage licenses. Would that emphasize the point to them?

blazeitornot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The violent past of Christianity is a joke to todays version of Christianity. Christianity has pacified this county. It's been pacified so deeply that athiests were affected by it and don't even know it. I'll be happy when Christianity finally fails in this country.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The violent past of Christianity is a joke to todays version of Christianity. Christianity has pacified this county. It's been pacified so deeply that athiests were affected by it and don't even know it. I'll be happy when Christianity finally fails in this country.
Could you explain some of that nonsense?? The last sentence I understand. The first three cry out for further explaination.

Latest posts

Top Bottom