Interested in 80% lowers. Have no experience. School me please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title is pretty self-explanatory. I would like to get into the world of finishing 80% lowers. It seems that the two most popular ways of doing this are either with a drill press which looks to be very labor intensive, or with a relatively inexpensive mill, nothing CNC, but something that gives a higher degree of precision. I've looked at the 80% lowers, the jigs, but I was hoping I could get some feedback on the best way for a total noob to get into this, what kind of setup I might need as an amateur, and if people had any specific recommendations regarding the actual milling of these things.

Maybe at some point it could turn into a side business for me, but at this point I think I want to do it A.) for the challenge, B.) for the fun, C.) for the anonymity it provides.

I've been reading from several sources (truth about guns, cncguns.com, reddit, etc.) about ways that people do this stuff. I've seen recommendations for drill press + an X-Y axis milling vice, but the finish looks rough. I've also seen recommendations for the mills and more than a few people have said good things about the harbor freight mills (the ones that go from about $600 - 1200).

Would it make more sense to go ahead with the drill press plus XY vice to start, or would I have a better experience with a mill? I figure I can always use a mill for other projects that a drill press may not so easily lend itself to.

Like I said, I'm not looking to make money off this or start a business with it - yet. I'm not talking about going crazy and getting equipment so that I can broach mag wells. Any tips, tricks, thoughts about how I should proceed?

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about CA, but for OK you can call the 80% lower finished by you, your home manufacturer rifle. If I understood the regulations correctly you don't even have to put a serial number on it. But, the rifle is yours and yours only...forever as I understand the riles. Not sure you can ever sell it and also not sure what has to happen to the rifle when you die. Your family may have to destroy it???

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about CA, but for OK you can call the 80% lower finished by you, your home manufacturer rifle. If I understood the regulations correctly you don't even have to put a serial number on it. But, the rifle is yours and yours only...forever as I understand the riles. Not sure you can ever sell it and also not sure what has to happen to the rifle when you die. Your family may have to destroy it???

That's what I understand...

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you can't machine multiples for other people unless you have a manufacturers license. Which kind of throws anonymity out the window.

I may be wrong though. I have been before.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I know that it wouldn't be very cost effective, like I said I am interested in doing this for the challenge, fun, and also because it might be a good way to pick up some basic machining/milling experience. If it were to turn into a side business then I would need a 07 FFL and if I were to sell them to individuals personally, a 01 FFL as well. Like I said, its not to get lowers at some mythical uber cheap price.

Would still appreciate folks thoughts on what to do if they've ever tried this before

ETA: As long as I'm doing this strictly for myself its very anonymous. I realize that if it ever turned into a business then the anonymity goes right out the window

Last edited:

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can be sold like any other firearm you own. However there are strict guidelines for marking the manufacturer and place of origin. That is all going to be your personal info stamped into the receiver. The exact opposite of anonymity.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, let me throw my hat in the ring here. I'm doing exactly what you're talking about, only with 0% lowers. I use a harbor frieght mini-mill that has been modified to have a longer column (Z axis) so that I can finish the buffer tube hole.

I picked up my paperweights from Rguns before they started screwing people. I think I paid $20 for them. It is a lot of fun, I will say that. a DRO system is a must. Trying to mill a lower without it would be an exercise in frustration. It doesn't have to be a top of the line DRO, a simple setup found on ebay works just fine. There are a number of tools to be made on the mill before you mill your first lower, but thats part of the fun!

Expect to invest as much in milling bits and good drill bits, vices, clamps, measuring devices etc as you do in the mill. The mill is only the first in a long list of things you will need.

I do it for the fun and challenge. By the time it's all done, you will have more money in the tooling than you could ever hope to recover making these (after you get the license.) doing an 80% lower removes much of the hard stuff from project, like tapping the buffer tube.

Just remember. you CANNOT mill lowers for anyone else, or sell a lower you have milled to anyone else without the proper FFL license. There is zero tolerance by the BATF

Latest posts

Top Bottom