Interesting handgun stopping power study.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also like the fact that the author of the article/study was well versed regarding the subject matter. Additionally, I think that the Massad Ayoob quote referenced was important for context. Great topic and thanks for bringing this article to light. I will continue to carry what I shoot best and dress accordingly!

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just learned that I'd better be real lucky or be able to get at least 2 rounds on the target regardless of the caliber of my weapon.

Agreed. Look at the guy in Ohio. He put two rounds of .45ACP into the abdomen of a drunk and high scumbag and did not kill him. But he most certainly stopped the attack.

I want to thank my buddy George (and his mother who sent it to him) for sending this to me so I can share it here.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of what anyone says, you still have the potential of a greater advantage of effectiveness with a higher energry round.
Just because pistol calibers do not reach 2000fps (or whatever) doesn't mean that their temporary cavitation potential is completely meaningless.
While a handgun round may not dramatically stretch muscle tissue (or gel) beyond it's elasticity and cause tearing, it can have an affect on certain other organ tissues....so while you shouldn't *count* on it stopping a fight, I think it's scientifically retarded to blindly dismiss it's mechanism altogether.
Although we are talking about specific/limited areas/situations, one of them very well *could* make the difference.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of what anyone says, you still have the potential of a greater advantage of effectiveness with a higher energry round.
Just because pistol calibers do not reach 2000fps (or whatever) doesn't mean that their temporary cavitation potential is completely meaningless.
While a handgun round may not dramatically stretch muscle tissue (or gel) beyond it's elasticity and cause tearing, it can have an affect on certain other organ tissues....so while you shouldn't *count* on it stopping a fight, I think it's scientifically retarded to blindly dismiss it's mechanism altogether.
Although we are talking about specific/limited areas/situations, one of them very well *could* make the difference.
I don't think a single person here disagrees that a .45 is always better than a 9mm, bullet for bullet, in terms of "stopping power."

.45 advocates need to stop with that argument, because it's beating a dead horse.

But is the extremely slight advantage in "stopping power" worth the increased recoil, increased cost for practice, and decreased magazine size? In a high-stress, life-or-death situation, do you want to rely on hitting your targets with 8 rounds or with 16, given that for almost all purposes, a hit with the different bullets will create the same effect?

45 shooter

Marksman
Reaction score
I really appreciate the thoroughness of this study, and the observation that he tried very hard not to skew the results. Sometimes, statistics can be like a captured enemy spy. If you torture them long enough they will tell you anything that you want to hear.
This study also reinforced my own particular beliefs regarding carry: pick a good reliable gun, and get very familiar with it. I tend not to jump between a wide variety of carry guns, I have one favorite. This study tells me that my one favorite gun will serve me well in any realistic situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom