Introduce yourself here!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryfrosty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my wife to the range so she could get the feel of my 9mm but being a small framed women she was spooked by it and said it hurt her hands when she fired it. I'm fairly new to handguns myself, does anyone have any suggestions to something she would be more comfortable with. before I go spending the money on renting guns just for her to shoot once and say she doesnt like it. I want her to have something in the house she could use if im not there.

We encountered a similar experience when my wife decided to carry. She finally settled in on a Ruger 3" SP-101 with the factory bobbed hammer. She likes it because of the weight and the way it soaks up recoil. From over 40 years of carrying and shooting I believe what worked for my wife was allowing her to settle on a caliber/ gun she feels comfortable with in both carrying and shooting. I have taught for many years and I think it is extremely counterproductive to insist a new shooter keep after a particular caliber or gun once they have gotten shy of it. Start with easy calibers and work up until your shooter finds what they need.
As for renting guns. I am fortunate to have a small handgun collection to try...but with my wife and my sons renting has let them have exposure to many more guns when they made their choice. My sons are both Marines. When the eldest went into the Corps he had a lot of exposure to different weapons, including the M-16. When the youngest went in I took him to the range and we spent two days with him learning the M-9 and the M-16 and the 1911. He would shoot a while and then field strip them and clean them and shoot some more. On Parris Island he found that the exposure helped him in firearms qual. Regards; Al

Stoked

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for a while. I figured it was time to register. I have lived in the Tulsa area for almost 3 years. My wife and I transferred here in 2008 and bought a house in BA. I'm on my last tour in the Navy. My wife works for the Dept of Justice downtown. We plan to stay in the Tulsa area after I retire.

My hobbies are guns, motorcycles, & Jeeps. I look forward to learning as much as I can on this site.

Rangerdirk

New to the site!
Reaction score
Quick introduction.
My uncle, Carleb, told me about this place. Have been lurking in the shadows for a while but thought I would follow the rules and do the intro.
In the military and have been since 1997. I live and have lived all over, but still call Oklahoma home. Raised with a rifle in my hands and was taught most of
what I know about hunting by my uncle and my grandfather. Still an active hunter, fisher and outdoorsman. Shoot mainly military style competitions and have recently started the 3 gun competitions. My job requires I spend most of my time at the range, so that is one of the great benefits of this life.

stewmat30

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hey all, semi new to the world of USPSA and the competition's. Been taking part in the Ponca City matches, as well as a few in OKC and Tulsa, as well as in Wichita. Trying my hand at production so atleast it will give me some lessons on reloading (alot) and developing those skills needed for pointing and time. Glad to be a part of the "Band of Brothers & Sisters"

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all!

Only been around here for two days now as I just stumbled on this site yesterday!

I'm very new to the firearm scene, and I've had my first and only pistol for about two weeks now.

Went to the local range (Heartland Outdoor) and took a beginners handgun course. Course covered the very basics of handgun ownership, most importantly safety, then moved to cleaning and storing techniques and finally to the fundamentals of shooting. (Cleo was awesome and a great teacher)

Shot though a box of 9mm, 7 yards, then 10 yards, here's what I did:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

And my first and only gun:

[Broken External Image]

Initial reactions were scattered. I wasn't quite ready for the amount of feedback I got from the gun, it was a bit unsettling. But, after the first magazine full I settled in and I improved a bit. Post range reactions are: I'm hooked. Can't wait to go back and fire some more!!

So, for a first time shooter, comments? I know I hit a few low. I noticed during my second mag that I wasn't breathing :X So I forced myself to take a few deep breaths and relaxed my arms a bit too much on the exhale, during the trigger pull which lead to a few low shots. Overall though, I'm pretty excited for my first time out!

Followed that up with two more sessions this week and I can already tell I'm improving, especially at longer distances (15 yds). Considering going out again tonight, but four times to the range in a week hurts the wallet a bit :X

Would like to get my confidence level up enough that I could eventually shoot in something like IDPA, but I don't know much about it.

Looking forward to a life long sport!

~Joey

Last edited:

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just registered a few days ago. Had been lurking for a while. This is one of the only gun sites that the blocking software at the job I just lost would allow. Now that I have more time I went ahead and registered.

My name is Tom, I am 52 and have been shooting since the age of ten and reloading since the age of 21. I have slowed down and so has my shooting and reloading. I am a life long Okie and still live in the same zip code that I grew up in.

I was hoping to find some places to buy reloading supplies locally. I guess I already knew about Gene Sears. I did learn about J&K bullets from this forum and will be trying some of their 44 slugs. I would like to know where I could get some Tula primers in the OKC metro???

I do order from Midway and have contemplated a road trip to Powder Valley. One of my not too past coworkers didn't like the idea of buying there for me when he went to the Bluegrass Jam in Winfield every fall.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Folks, new to the site. Stumbled onto this via a Google search! I live in Norman and I'm relatively new to Oklahoma having moved here from Maryland last year.

I own a 1939 Brno VZ.24 8x57 Mauser, want to build an AK and perhaps a single shot pistol or two. I've got a lathe and small milling machine in my workshop.

I'll be wanting some info about OK gun law and some scrounging for parts and such.

I'm pretty pleased to see such a busy site for us 'Okies and guns'. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom