is a 9.00 dollar minimum wage the answer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coonskinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only if the question is, "How can we drive consumer prices up and hurt the econmy even worse?"

This idiot is just buying votes from people too ignorant to realize they are being raped.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the wage should be $40/hour, 40 hours per week, 52 weeks a year, no matter what you do. That way we can all be the same. That will end this class warfare.

No over time no bonuses no nothing. $83,200/year for every man woman and child.

I know you aren't serious but I'll play along for fun :blush:

Based loosely on the stats in this 2 year old article with 3 year old data, government numbers are usually at least a year or more old anyway.

in 2011 45% of people in this country had a job, the number is probably lower now.

Some 55% of adult people are unemployed and supposedly that number is equal to the number of children in the country who are typically not in the work force.

That gives us an approximate 29% of the population that is employed when you include every man woman and child.

That gives us 3.48 times as many people in the workforce! Score!

People on minimum wage just got a 19x increase in pay! Score!
edit ( should have said 5.5x increase in pay) while there is a 19x increase in dollars printed from thin air. In reality the working minimum wage earner would get 5.5x more dollars each worth 1/19th as much so they'd have about 1/3 the buying power they have now.)

Kidding aside what tends to happen when you raise the minimum wage is you suck the middle classes buying power down lower while having little long term effect on minimum wage earners ability to buy more with what they make since the increased cost of labor raises the price of everything and that eats up the supposed raise.

It makes it far more cost effective to outsource to other countries.

Belthos

New McDonalds menu changes will be as follows.

Try our new $20 value menu

Small fries $19.99
small coke $19.99
small hamburger $19.99
small cheeseburger $19.99 (not legal in New York City) The Mayor of NYC has determined cheese is not necessary for you to be healthy enough to pay taxes and vote.

$10 charge added to all orders for mandatory EPA cleanup fund. (The surgeon general of NYC has determined our food may not be biodegradable)

Some of the numbers used in this may have little or no bearing on reality.

Last edited:

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say get rid of the minimum wage!

That would truly help the economy. I think a good second option is to do away with the one size fits all minimum wage and base it on cost of living. Not that I like the minimum wage, but just that it would make all those politicians in high cost of living states less eager to raise the minimum wage on us low cost of living states who are hurt most by the increases.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will it strengthen the middle class?

Will filling my basement with sewage make my foundation stronger?
You don't make the middle class stronger by ramrodding millions of people who can't balance their own checkbooks into the group.

First, class is not determined by an amount of money or income. It is determined by how you use money.
Lower class: Uses money to get "things".
Middle class: Uses money as a tool for self improvement.
Upper class: Uses money as a tool to acquire more money/power/influence.

There are a lot of rich lower class people, and lots of poor middle classmen. The difference is that people who are middle class can grow and strengthen themselves, and make more money if they choose to.

Take that minimum wage money, and give it to people who won't spend it on more beer and cigarettes.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course it's crap, and they know it. No one who is halfway educated on economic matters thinks a high minimum wage is going to actually make real wages go up. Everybody knows it just causes inflation and unemployment. Of course the reason they propose legislation like this is to appease the majority of this country's population who doesn't know **** about economics... the great unwashed masses who our forbears in all their wisdom decided to give the power to have a say on who gets to decide how to divide up the product of all the productive people's labor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom