is the cold weather next week going to kick it off!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a lot of deer and bucks chasing does this past weekend in KS.

The most horns I have ever seen in one day on the road. It was cold and rainy and the deer were in the middle of the wheat fields.

I think this weekend could be good. I am not an expert or have a lot of experience but what I saw in KS excited me.

Opening day the wind is suppose to out of the South. this will make my stands useless for morning hunts. could work in the evening as deer move toward feeding areas.

Any suggestions? i am thinking about going up this week and build ground blinds or set up a pop-up tent. What do you think?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bucks are stupid now, but no matter what, you have to hunt
the wind.

Do what ever you have to do to make this happen. A little rattling works really well now. A week ago it would have happened better.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok on hunting the wind i heard that deer move with the wind going from butt to head so the can smell behind them to smell if something is coming and they look visually ahead to see danger. is this true or am i being fed some crap.

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
ok on hunting the wind i heard that deer move with the wind going from butt to head so the can smell behind them to smell if something is coming and they look visually ahead to see danger. is this true or am i being fed some crap.

Deer tend to work into or across the wind. I have been taking deer for thirty years and they will believe their nose more than their eyes. Too many times I have seen deer work around something they don't like until they get downwind and scent check whatever it is. Scent control is more important than anything else when you hunt.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got from Mo. and the does were letting bucks breed them so I think this weekend should be great in Ok. I was using some fresh doe urine from a farm in Ok. and the hot does were coming into the wind to smell, and walked right up to the spot I had placed it. It rained the whole time I was there with temps around 40* miserable to us but the deer moved pretty good. Shot this eight point while he was freshening rubs.

Attachments

• Photo0029.jpg
    Photo0029.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 167

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bucks are stupid now, but no matter what, you have to hunt
the wind.

Do what ever you have to do to make this happen. A little rattling works really well now. A week ago it would have happened better.

They aren't stupid enough for me. I shot a practice arrow from the stand at 9:30 this morning, got down and retrieved it and walked about 20 yards from the stand and a doe and buck were coming in. I was busted. I sure been wanting another deer with the traditional gear but no luck yet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't stupid enough for me. I shot a practice arrow from the stand at 9:30 this morning, got down and retrieved it and walked about 20 yards from the stand and a doe and buck were coming in. I was busted. I sure been wanting another deer with the traditional gear but no luck yet.

You got down too early! I'm guilty of that too, as sometimes home things have to be done.
This is not for you as I know you already know this.

but this time of year if one can, one needs to be in the stand all day if possible. the bucks and does will come to food plots on occasion but mostly are totally out of their patterns. I haven't done it too much, but during the rut I almost think a person could still hunt and have better sucess. Last weekend driving out of my area I saw several bucks that had does cornered. They were all in open pastures, or in wheat fields. Don't know why they are in those areas unless it to keep the doe in sight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom