Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All this talk motivated me to take out a Mini I bought a while back and had yet to shoot. This 5 round group is with the factory sights, aged eyes, green tip ammo and at around 35-40 yards…..oh and off hand. Say what you will but I’d call that good enough to get the job done.
1706056221799.jpeg

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) I have owned a P-89 for years without issue. No idea on the P-85.
2) True, he really likes to talk. I could not sit thru the whole thing and plan to watch it right before bed time. Should help me get to sleep.
3) There is a difference in GI and civilian brass. The civilian 223 brass is not as thick as the military 5.56 x 45 brass. I do not think this will cause flyers but have never reloaded either.
4) Us two sword guys do not like to hear ourselves talk. We do like trolling fanboys online but not making long videos.

Yeah... How's that workin' out for ya?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No! In 223 the "civilian" and military brass weigh, and more importantly hold the same volume of water. There is NO difference in the case, and that I can guarantee ! The P 89 is a good pistol, it is heavy and clunky, but it IS a good gun especially for you to have not me. Joking aside, they are good!

Firpro, that is certainly "good enough" nice shooting, especially off hand, good for you!!

But really? A sword! Come on now, tell me some floor polisher stories from the " old days"!

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought the P95 was a decent attempt by Ruger to put the P89 on a "SlimFast" program. All the P-Series guns were really reliable...they were just extremely bulky. The P95 changed that up a bit. I never cared for them just due to their size...but their reliability was/is pretty impressive. And they were reasonably priced.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All this talk motivated me to take out a Mini I bought a while back and had yet to shoot. This 5 round group is with the factory sights, aged eyes, green tip ammo and at around 35-40 yards…..oh and off hand. Say what you will but I’d call that good enough to get the job done. View attachment 447519
Exactly.