Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I have done that with a few guns. Not all by any means but a 10/22 many years ago, an FN49 in 8mm back when you could get surplus ammo cheap, and a couple of 22 pistols. I had a 10 acre place out in the country and my own range. Well really just the side of a hill I used as backstop and an old picnic table bench to put my targets on. Mostly old cans or plastic milk jugs.

As to why, I had bad experiences with the AR platform, it is going to take a lot to convince me. That is all there is to it.

Look you can talk all you want. I am enjoying watching you guys freak out because someone does not think the ARs are great, but words are not going to change my mind so you might as well give it a rest. I will continue to state my beliefs until something happens to change my mind.

You had bad experiences with the AR platform? I thought that was Ken. Funny how your stories change.

And don't misinterpret my hysterical laughter at you as freaking out. Nobody's freaking out, dude. Laughing? Yes. Uncontrollably so.

5000 rounds thru your FN49, huh? This gets better and better all the time.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gen Curtis Lemay: Big ole cigar and all...
1706128902192.png

From: Remembering The Air Force General Who Helped Usher In The M16 Rifle

Though the U.S. military had just adopted the M14 rifle as a replacement to the aging M1 Garands, Wyman’s curiosity was piqued, and he ordered 10 AR-15s and 100,000 rounds of ammo for testing in 1958. Despite mostly positive tests at Fort Benning, where the AR-15 proved to be almost three times as reliable as the M14 during development, Dr. Frederick Carten, an Army Ordnance Corps expert who was opposed to just about everything the AR-15 represented, failed to give the AR-15 a flattering review in his report, and the Ordnance Corps turned away from the innovative rifle. In February 1959, arms maker Colt bought the rights to the AR-15 and AR-10 from ArmaLite for $75,000 plus royalties on future production.

As a result, the Ordnance Corps agree to a new series of tests, completed in November of 1960. After firing nearly 25,000 rounds through three AR-15s, the results were favorable, performing well even in dust, extreme cold, rain and without lubrication. One rifle even produced a 10-round, 1.5-inch group at 100 yards, well within the six-inch requirement. The AR-15 outperformed the M14, and was approved for Air Force trials.

I know it's odd to produce facts instead of just emotional rhetoric and irrational stubbornness, but that's just the way I am. Well, ok...I can be irrationally stubborn at times. Then again, all my imaginary friends (whose last names I know) know how to clean and maintain their rifles. And they never fell victim to drug runners on the high seas.

RickN...did you work for the Ordnance Dept back in the early 60s? These shenanigans sound a lot like you:

AR-15s were used in Vietnam, a move outside the normal procurement process. Reviews from users were favorable, with many preferring the AR-15 to all other service firearms. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara signed off on a purchase of 1,000 AR-15s in December 1961, and the rifle continued testing among South Vietnamese personnel during Project AGILE. The results were similarly enthusiastic.

However, the Ordnance Corps wasn’t done battling the adoption of the AR-15, reportedly rigging the Arctic tests of the AR-15 to ensure it failed. When Eugene Stoner got word of the dramatic failures of his creations, he flew to Fort Greeley, Alaska to investigate, and found the rifle seemingly deliberately tampered with to result in failure. After repairing each rifle, the tests resumed, and the rifles performed as designed.

And that was almost 60 years ago. The rifle is stronger, more accurate, more reliable and more versatile and adaptable than ever before. It's hands-down the most popular rifle in the country with some 25 million in private hands. No other semi-auto rifle even comes close.

And BTW... Still not freaking out and my panties are on straight.

I will admit I've never done a 5000 round torture test on an FN49, though.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what little I know about it, seems 95% of the complaints about the early AR in Vietnam were due to the crooked monkey f***g a football army/gov process that birthed it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You had bad experiences with the AR platform? I thought that was Ken. Funny how your stories change.

And don't misinterpret my hysterical laughter at you as freaking out. Nobody's freaking out, dude. Laughing? Yes. Uncontrollably so.

5000 rounds thru your FN49, huh? This gets better and better all the time.
If you bothered to read my post you would know that I have said many times that I had issues with the M-16 and Ken was just a part of it. You would also know my story has not changed, just the parts of it you have read. I have even mentioned before that I disliked it so much I got permission to use the 12ga.

You would also know I had a collection of FN49s before they were stolen from my home. I had a 7mm, 8mm, 30.06 and one that had been converted to 308. The 8mm was the one I fired so much because I got a great deal on a bunch of surplus ammo. Took about 6 months or so and at times my shoulder and arm HURT!

But hey, I was young, single and making good money doing construction work.

As far as you freaking out, yes I think you are and I still do not understand why it matters to you that I do not like the AR. I can not tell if you are really that much of an AR fanboy, or just really like to argue.