Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you bothered to read my post you would know that I have said many times that I had issues with the M-16 and Ken was just a part of it. You would also know my story has not changed, just the parts of it you have read. I have even mentioned before that I disliked it so much I got permission to use the 12ga.

You would also know I had a collection of FN49s before they were stolen from my home. I had a 7mm, 8mm, 30.06 and one that had been converted to 308. The 8mm was the one I fired so much because I got a great deal on a bunch of surplus ammo. Took about 6 months or so and at times my shoulder and arm HURT!

But hey, I was young, single and making good money doing construction work.

As far as you freaking out, yes I think you are and I still do not understand why it matters to you that I do not like the AR. I can not tell if you are really that much of an AR fanboy, or just really like to argue.

LMAO! Uh...OK...

ROFL.gif

I bet Ken would've remembered your last name...

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I thought.

That's the part I didn't think was hyperbolic.... A lot easier to answer that way.

And maybe it was meant to be satirical. I didn't see it that way but I'll concede it's certainly possible. Hard to tell with online comments sometimes.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When people answer a legitimate argument with "you're so angry" or "it worried you so" or "why are you freaking out" or "give Kamala a kiss" or "you're a liberal" it's a clear sign they have nothing intelligent to contribute to the conversation. And that sort of thing is rampant on this forum.

If you have a legitimate argument or response then make it. The emotional rhetoric gets really tiresome. Even if your best friend whose name you don't know did get killed by drug runners.

Instead of arguing the M16 is a POS because it allegedly was the cause of your friend's death (whose name you don't know yet you served with him in wartime) find something objective and legitimate that's verifiable.

Such as: Because of bureaucratic ineptitude and an Ordnance Dept that didn't want the gun anyway, the M16 suffered problems it shouldn't have such as fouling due to improper powder being used in the ammunition. Also, the Ordnance Dept knew rifles used in jungle environments were prone to corrosion in the chamber and barrel. Chamber corrosion and fouling in general contributed to malfunctions of the rifle in severe use situations and likely was a direct contributor to the deaths of American servicemen in Viet Nam in the early years after it's adoption. By the late 60s the issues were largely corrected and the rifle went on to arguably become the standard by which other modern combat rifles are judged. After over 60 years the rifle is still in use, in an updated form, by all branches of the US military and by military forces around the world. Even so, I prefer (insert weapon name) because it works better for me for various reasons.

On the other hand, that would take some thought and effort and I know that's really asking a lot from some folks here.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is anecdotal at best, but during the Viet Nam war a bunch of South western New Mexico guys signed up in 1969. I knew almost each one of them,( I didn't go in until 1974) this was small town patriotism at its best. They all went Airborne, and many ended up as LRRPS and Rangers. There were 17 of them. The one thing they asked for from friends and families after they got there was CLEANING EQUIPMENT! I can remember going to Western Auto and buying almost every bottle of Hope's #9 and oil and packaging it up and sending it. Of the guys that made it home, NOT ONE complained of the M-16 not working! These were good old country boys who had been taught to take care of equipment. Several of them detested the AR because of small bullet size, but not one of them said it was unreliable. All of them knew the importance of cleaning and oiling and since Uncle Sugar wasn't supplying the material to do so, they got friends and family to supply it. They all said if ya kept it clean and oiled it was reliable!
When I went in I was already to hate that little gun, because my brothers( some of that 17) said it wouldn't knock them down! I ended up in a unit where a M-14 was a T.O. weapon for some, but not one of the M-16A1 that the other guys had ever quit on them, and we played in the sand, like our kids had to do latter. Bottom line is sorry Ken learned a terrible lesson, but if you guys had been doing a bit of pre ops maintenance instead of just sticking them in the rack and only grabbing them after who knows how long, old Ken might have been successful! Now at the same time I know you guys didn't have access to them on demand, so I'm thinking that your Capitan has a big old blame factor in what happened to Ken, and I'm real pissed off that Ken didn't have the basic skills with his T.O. weapon that one round wasn't decisive, and that blame goes right on command. Now with all that said, I have a real strong feeling that both you and Ken didn't take any of this real serious like 17 guys from southern New Mexico did, and we did a bit latter on.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When people answer a legitimate argument with "you're so angry" or "it worried you so" or "why are you freaking out" or "give Kamala a kiss" or "you're a liberal" it's a clear sign they have nothing intelligent to contribute to the conversation. And that sort of thing is rampant on this forum.

If you have a legitimate argument or response then make it. The emotional rhetoric gets really tiresome. Even if your best friend whose name you don't know did get killed by drug runners.

Instead of arguing the M16 is a POS because it allegedly was the cause of your friend's death (whose name you don't know yet you served with him in wartime) find something objective and legitimate that's verifiable.

Such as: Because of bureaucratic ineptitude and an Ordnance Dept that didn't want the gun anyway, the M16 suffered problems it shouldn't have such as fouling due to improper powder being used in the ammunition. Also, the Ordnance Dept knew rifles used in jungle environments were prone to corrosion in the chamber and barrel. Chamber corrosion and fouling in general contributed to malfunctions of the rifle in severe use situations and likely was a direct contributor to the deaths of American servicemen in Viet Nam in the early years after it's adoption. By the late 60s the issues were largely corrected and the rifle went on to arguably become the standard by which other modern combat rifles are judged. After over 60 years the rifle is still in use, in an updated form, by all branches of the US military and by military forces around the world. Even so, I prefer (insert weapon name) because it works better for me for various reasons.

On the other hand, that would take some thought and effort and I know that's really asking a lot from some folks here.
Life must be a b*tch for ya, all these people not behaving right. There is that ignore button, or is it the complaining and drama you like? I wonder who Ken is, but hell if I'm going to ask.