Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's never stopped him before...
Doesn't seem to stop the fanboys either.

Look boys and girls, a lot of people hate the AR platform for many reasons that the fanboys may disagree with. But to us, it is just as valid as your opinions so just get over it. Personally I would trust an AK over an AR. Only reason I traded my AK for a Mini 14 is I think The Mini 14 will be the last "assault rifle" banned. Especially with a wood stock.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to stop the fanboys either.

Look boys and girls, a lot of people hate the AR platform for many reasons that the fanboys may disagree with. But to us, it is just as valid as your opinions so just get over it. Personally I would trust an AK over an AR. Only reason I traded my AK for a Mini 14 is I think The Mini 14 will be the last "assault rifle" banned. Especially with a wood stock.
If you prefer a Mini-14 over something else then that's your prerogative. When you spout off nonsense and are being disingenuous about ARs then you shouldn't be surprised when people call you out. I mean you're holding early teething issues from the '60s against a rifle that is one of the best rifles the world has ever seen.

Reliability issues? A simple change in powder type used in the 5.56 and the Defense Department deciding to issue cleaning kits fixed that.

Twist rate issues? They went from 1:14 to 1:12 because of stabilization issues in extremely cold weather. Further rifling changes were made because ammo specs from the army changed. The 1:7 was chosen because the M856 tracer round is a lot longer than M855. 1:9 twist stabilizes M855 just fine.

Chrome lining seen as a negative? Why would you be against making a barrel have a longer useful life?

In what world do you live in where product improvement over said product's life span is a bad thing? A lot has changed since 1959 when the AR-15 first started development.

In your honor I shall build another AR-15.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The flathead screwdriver isn’t used to turn most of the modern fasteners these days. The Phillips took over. The torx is know knocking the Phillips out. Atleast a flat blade can be used for prying and chiseling. What the hell we gonna do with the Phillips.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The flathead screwdriver isn’t used to turn most of the modern fasteners these days. The Phillips took over. The torx is know knocking the Phillips out. Atleast a flat blade can be used for prying and chiseling. What the hell we gonna do with the Phillips.

Hole punch for sheetrock?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you prefer a Mini-14 over something else then that's your prerogative. When you spout off nonsense and are being disingenuous about ARs then you shouldn't be surprised when people call you out. I mean you're holding early teething issues from the '60s against a rifle that is one of the best rifles the world has ever seen.

Reliability issues? A simple change in powder type used in the 5.56 and the Defense Department deciding to issue cleaning kits fixed that.

Twist rate issues? They went from 1:14 to 1:12 because of stabilization issues in extremely cold weather. Further rifling changes were made because ammo specs from the army changed. The 1:7 was chosen because the M856 tracer round is a lot longer than M855. 1:9 twist stabilizes M855 just fine.

Chrome lining seen as a negative? Why would you be against making a barrel have a longer useful life?

In what world do you live in where product improvement over said product's life span is a bad thing? A lot has changed since 1959 when the AR-15 first started development.

In your honor I shall build another AR-15.

We've been down all those roads before with sword-boy... Not only does he not understand the AR/M16 platform isn't the same as it was in the early days of VN, he refuses to understand no one is saying he can't prefer one gun over the other. He thinks we're just picking on him because he doesn't like the AR. He spouts off nonsense because he can't make a rational, well-reasoned argument for why he thinks the AR sucks so nonsense is his default.