IT consult

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this server (Dell T330) back in 2019 thinking we would host a program for access by 10-12 people. Plans changed and we went cloud based on it. So, this thing probably has 12 hours of run time and has sat ever since.

I'm trying to decide what to do with it. They are on Ebay for little to nothing to well over $1k. If I could wipe and reset the thing I'd sell it, but not for scrap kind of value. I'd rather just destroy it if that's all its worth.

Any opinions from IT folks out there?

20230214_132931.jpg

20230214_133226.jpg

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about reaching out to a non-prof of your liking and see if they could use it?
I could but they'd probably sell it, which means I'd still need to figure out how to get comfortable that it was wiped clean. The server 2016 OS isn't quite as user friendly as desktops.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it has data on it that needs destroyed, the simple solution would be to pull the drives and sell it without them. As long as the Server CoA sticker is still intact, a new owner can use that to reinstall Server 2016.

You might be able to use Bitlocker to encrypt the drives, then reinstall Server 2016 on them, having it destroy and recreate the partitions in the process. It’s not perfect, but it’s good enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom