Kohler Courage Engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a 28hp Kohler on my Bad Boy mower with almost 800 hours on it now. No oil consumption at all.
Change the filter every 50 hours with Mobile 1 synthetic as the oil of choice

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Briggs=crap, kohler is just a better glossed over turd. Get a kubota or kawasaki.

I dont know They all seem to have their problems....

My Toro insttalled Kawasaki has always seemed to be built with a sub sized starter and runs hot enough to backfire like a sum botch if you kill at full rev ( like the manual states to do ) let it cool down a bit at idle and no problems.

Dont even get me started on our Kobata tractor that was a complete TURD. It was replaced with a Deere and we havent looked back

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Toro insttalled Kawasaki has always seemed to be built with a sub sized starter and runs hot enough to backfire like a sum botch if you kill at full rev ( like the manual states to do ) let it cool down a bit at idle and no problems.

I had an engine that backfired like a rifle shot if you shut it off. Turned out to be an exhaust valve adjustment.

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi -

I have a Kohler Courage on my lawn tractor and after 300 hours of service it died a violent death. I've done a bit of "googling" and it appears the name COURAGE is derived from the saying "It takes courage to own one". I'm curious if anyone else has suffered the same fate I have with a Kohler Courage. It's real disappointing tp she'll out 4K for a lawn tractor, do all the regular maintenance, and have it die.

Comments, thoughts, etc.
How old is your mower? A short block is available. Kohler Command engines are excellent; Courage- not. PM me your Spec# off the sticker on the engine.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had two of the courage engines go kablooie One was a compression release mechanism internally and the other shed a counter weight and trashed the block. I have a commercial generator with a command engine and it has been fine.

defender56

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all that posed to this thread. This pretty well validates that this is a widespread problem. BTW my Kohler Command Pro 19HP on my 10+ year old Craftsman still runs like a champ. It's my back-up mower that normally is reserved for mulching leaves in the fall.

Beware of Toro walk-behind mowers as well - even $500+ semi-commercial mowers. They now put TPX engines on them that look just like a Briggs - color/shape, etc. TPX is another made in China engine.

Check out some of the Youtube videos of the Kohler Courage. When the bolts come out of the flywheel, the resulting engine damage is pretty extensive. You would think that a maintenance alert or something would be issued but that is not the case. Glad it's nearing the end of the mowing season. . .

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mistake is when people buy a decent zero turn mower usually in the 4-6K range, them try to save $500 on a cheap ass engine. All the major small engine manufacturers produce several grades "price points" of engines they are called kohler courage, Kawasaki FC, and Briggs Inteck whatever, they aren't a good buy on 4-6k mowers and are almost never offered for long on commercial units above 6k.

Latest posts

Top Bottom