Lance Armstrong gave up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have rode on and off for years and just recently got into road biking pretty heavily. Lance is doing the right thing and in the right sequence now. Why fight the USADA when they have no juristiction in the matter. They (USADA) can "strip" his titles all they want, if the officiating agencies dont agree with the USADA decision and the race sponsors dont agree then they wont force Lance to do anything nor will he have to pay the money back or lose the titles.

in the end all the USADA is going to do is keep Lance from being a member of the US Tri Organization so that means he cant do Triathalons in the USA anymore, like he posted he has other things going on in life to worry about and can find other ways to stay in shape.

And anyone who says cycling is not a sport I dare you to come out and try it for a bit, I will be more than happy to have my neighbor take you out East of Norman and run you for 30 miles or so on a bike thru those hills. I promise you that you will be begging for him to slow down and or stop and let you rest as you think your heart is getting ready to remove itself from your chest along with your lungs. It takes alot of stamina and endurance to ride those rides, I have done a 46 miler so far once on a weekend, they do over 100 miles a day for 3 weeks with no rest inbetween.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have rode on and off for years and just recently got into road biking pretty heavily. Lance is doing the right thing and in the right sequence now. Why fight the USADA when they have no juristiction in the matter. They (USADA) can "strip" his titles all they want, if the officiating agencies dont agree with the USADA decision and the race sponsors dont agree then they wont force Lance to do anything nor will he have to pay the money back or lose the titles.

in the end all the USADA is going to do is keep Lance from being a member of the US Tri Organization so that means he cant do Triathalons in the USA anymore, like he posted he has other things going on in life to worry about and can find other ways to stay in shape.

And anyone who says cycling is not a sport I dare you to come out and try it for a bit, I will be more than happy to have my neighbor take you out East of Norman and run you for 30 miles or so on a bike thru those hills. I promise you that you will be begging for him to slow down and or stop and let you rest as you think your heart is getting ready to remove itself from your chest along with your lungs. It takes alot of stamina and endurance to ride those rides, I have done a 46 miler so far once on a weekend, they do over 100 miles a day for 3 weeks with no rest inbetween.

Never said it wasn't physically demanding, just that it's a lame sport. Most of the lameness is a direct result of the people controlling it, not the act of riding for endurance and speed. This witch hunt by USADA will effectively kill the sport in the US.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This witch hunt by USADA will effectively kill the sport in the US.

I don't know if it will kill the sport here, but I agree that the profile of the sport will take a hit for the average person. With lance being retired this long, i don't think the average person was really paying attention at this point unless they already enjoyed the sport. The witchhunt probably wont help it, but like i said earlier, there is a solid following for cycling all over with big pockets in some places. There are two major stage races in the US each year with several smaller profiles ones. Races like the Tulsa Tough i believe have increased in popularity each year and i personally know two master's level pros that flew from california to tulsa just for the race this year.

Most people who spend time around cycling know, or learn, the history of doping and really don't care. It's the same kind of thing as finding out a baseball or football player got caught doping. Most people say 'so what' and move on since they don't compete at the same level nor know the person.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
see that is where I agree, Baseball is boring to me for the same reason when they had their witch hunt for steroids years ago, all of the Federal money spent on congressional hearings ad stupid as hell when we can barely pay our bills as a federal govt.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone keeps overlooking the fact that the USPS is NOT tax payer supported!

"The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations. We are required by law to cover our costs."

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/uspsabout.htm

Thank you sir.

...they'll still say Armstrong and they will still likely not be able to name a second cycling champion.

Greg LeMonde, Bernard Hinault, Eddie Merckx, Pete Penseyres, Mark Whitehead, Rebecca Twigg, Nelson Vails, Jan Ulrich...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lance is the MAN....

It's a WALL of text.... But condensed... It says he is tired of fighting the idiots.. He didnt cheat.. and FU USADA....

I don't have a dog in the fight...but I find it interesting that in the long statement you posted, never once did I read "I never doped". The closest to it was the part about "played by the rules when I raced". Which insn't exactly the same as "I never doped". Most of his beef seems to be with the process...not the actual fact of whether he doped or not.

Has he recently clearly stated that he has never doped?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in the fight...but I find it interesting that in the long statement you posted, never once did I read "I never doped". The closest to it was the part about "played by the rules when I raced". Which insn't exactly the same as "I never doped". Most of his beef seems to be with the process...not the actual fact of whether he doped or not.

Has he recently clearly stated that he has never doped?

I thought the same thing when I read it.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone keeps overlooking the fact that the USPS is NOT tax payer supported!

"The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations. We are required by law to cover our costs."

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/uspsabout.htm

Required by law to cover costs? What are the consequences when you don't? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you because I'm not sure how it all works. But I do know that businesses have to at least break even to keep the doors open and the USPS doesn't...
http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2011/pr11_124.htm

Thank you sir.

Greg LeMonde, Bernard Hinault, Eddie Merckx, Pete Penseyres, Mark Whitehead, Rebecca Twigg, Nelson Vails, Jan Ulrich...

You are obviously part of the 1% or you googled, LOL

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are obviously part of the 1% or you googled, LOL

Some of my he hero's growing up, I was amateur ranked as a teenager and an olympic hopeful for the 98 games at 17. I took a turn for the worse in 96-97 and screwed up my life and chances of ever being great.

I am the sad sack that can tell great stories of what it was like to almost be a contender.

Latest posts

Top Bottom