LEO question: Underage driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XChosen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is 15 and I have been taking him out to empty parking lots and back country roads to start getting familiar with how to handle a vehicle. I want him to log alot of hours and really learn to handle a vehicle in different situations. My question is what kind of problem am I looking at if we get pulled over?

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking for myself only, as long as he dosnt hit anything or cause a traffic or safety hazard to himself or others I'm good with it.
Just FYI though, someone out there would probably write you and him. If he gets cited it could prevent him from getting a lic. Be safe and find an outta the way place and you should be fine.

Fog

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have the answer to your question. I was lucky -- I had GC to take my boys around and teach them how to drive, so I never really worried about that. It was bad enough I had to get in the car with them to go to the DL examiners ... :lookaroun I really just wanted to say that you will be in my prayers, sir ... I'm so glad those days are behind me ... :D

BTW, I didn't let my boys start driving until they were 17 and 16 (they were in the same grade so they did a lot of things at the same time). I don't know if it was a mom's way of trying to keep her boys "little" or if it was a mom's way of trying to avoid the inevitable gray hairs that come from our kids reaching certain milestones. Probably a little bit of both ... :)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC from when I taught Drivers ED, if you're ticketed before you're 16, without a permit, you can be delayed in getting your license until you're 18yo. Not sure about the ticketing process on private property though.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC from when I taught Drivers ED, if you're ticketed before you're 16, without a permit, you can be delayed in getting your license until you're 18yo. Not sure about the ticketing process on private property though.

Well, I got caught driving to drivers ed in a farm truck and had no delay in getting my license at 16. In fact, the only reason I got caught is a girl in my class got caught joy riding and her mom raised hell that I was driving to drivers ed. So the last day of drivers ed, the cop was waiting on me. Had to do some community service. Stupid.

The kicker is that during that wheat harvest we had to switch off and let my grandmother take some loaded wheat trucks to town instead of me. I can promise you that was far more dangerous than letting my 15 year old a$$ get them to town.

My grandpa taught me how to drive when I was 8. Would always follow him with the truck when he was moving from field to field.

EDIT: I did have a permit though when I got caught.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are in a private parking lot and do not hit anything the chances of you getting a ticket are very low. Some Tulsa Police Officers use private property as an out to not do anything on minor crimes.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The honest answer is "it depends". Just depends on who stops you, why, and where.

You could potentially both get cited. Him for driving without a license and you for "allowing an unauthorized person to operate a motor vehicle".

Sorry, there just isn't a cut and dry answer to these types of questions.

SDS

Latest posts

Top Bottom