Let's see how many get this right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm opposed to the Fairness Doctrine because it is the government's attempt to force feed opposing viewpoints to the public and the government appoints itself as the arbiter of what is fair and "opposing".

If the people want fairness, they should seek it out themselves. If they want opposing viewpoints, they should seek them out themselves. If they want to sit on the couch and believe everything that Fox or CNN feeds them over their bowl of ramen...well then.

^^^^^this. We had the so-called "fairness doctrine" for a time, and it was blatant government censorship and violation of the 1st amendment.
Some don't like Fox, personally I can't watch some PMSNBC "features" without throwing up in my mouth, but I sure as heck don't want ANY level of government dictating what is "fair" for me to watch.
Having spent 2 tours in Washington, DC, I don't believe anything the govt OR press tells me, and only half of what they show me.

Chris Lang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm opposed to the Fairness Doctrine because it is the government's attempt to force feed opposing viewpoints to the public and the government appoints itself as the arbiter of what is fair and "opposing".

If the people want fairness, they should seek it out themselves. If they want opposing viewpoints, they should seek them out themselves. If they want to sit on the couch and believe everything that Fox or CNN feeds them over their bowl of ramen...well then.
^^^^^^^^ Most excellent!!..... Concur wholeheartedly.
Too damn much government intervention as it is.......

^^^^^this. We had the so-called "fairness doctrine" for a time, and it was blatant government censorship and violation of the 1st amendment.
Some don't like Fox, personally I can't watch some PMSNBC "features" without throwing up in my mouth, but I sure as heck don't want ANY level of government dictating what is "fair" for me to watch.
Having spent 2 tours in Washington, DC, I don't believe anything the govt OR press tells me, and only half of what they show me.

^^^^ Good stuff!!

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fairness doctrine wouldn't affect Fox News or CNN or MSNBC. It would however effect political talk radio by effectively killing it. It would work out about as well as forcing all music stations to play all types of music.

And even if it were to apply to cable TV, Fox News wouldn't have to change much if any since they usually have or attempt to have opposing views on most stories.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand the Fairness Doctrine, it would not prohibit people like Limbaugh, Ingram, Hamblin and others from broadcasting; it would require the stations to give equal time to broadcast an opposing view.

The problem for the broadcasters is that the liberal responses are not nearly as popular as the conservative programs, so they are much less profitable. Anyone here remember Air America? They had so few listeners that even with the help of wealthy liberal donors, they couldn't pay for air time and very soon went T/U.

What the Fairness Doctrine would do is to destroy conservative talk radio (which is profitable) and require local broadcasters to give equal time for those viewpoints that are not profitable and since this will hurt the local broadcasters in the pocketbook, they would not be able to afford the conservatives, so they would drop them.

This is the whole point of what the Democrats are trying to do: lessen the influence of the conservatives.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand the Fairness Doctrine, it would not prohibit people like Limbaugh, Ingram, Hamblin and others from broadcasting; it would require the stations to give equal time to broadcast an opposing view.

The problem for the broadcasters is that the liberal responses are not nearly as popular as the conservative programs, so they are much less profitable. Anyone here remember Air America? They had so few listeners that even with the help of wealthy liberal donors, they couldn't pay for air time and very soon went T/U.

What the Fairness Doctrine would do is to destroy conservative talk radio (which is profitable) and require local broadcasters to give equal time for those viewpoints that are not profitable and since this will hurt the local broadcasters in the pocketbook, they would not be able to afford the conservatives, so they would drop them.

This is the whole point of what the Democrats are trying to do: lessen the influence of the conservatives.

Yep. Lets ask this question. Why is conservative talk radio so popular? Because the majority of the people believe in it? Why is liberal talk radio so unpopular? Somebody "splain" this to me.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact that liberals are for the Fairness Doctrine tells me I should oppose it. The MSM (Manipulative Sick Media) already has to much power, why hand them a monopoly to spew even more propaganda from. The fact this is even up for discussion makes me sick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom