Light Sticks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you boys and girls like keeping light sticks in your “kit”? Took a minute and went through everything making sure it was all up to snuff and nothing had expired. When it came to the light sticks while I have a pack of fresh ones I’ve been holding on to some that are 5 years past their date and I test them every year to make sure they’re still worth keeping. While not quite as bright as the new ones (right) they’re still worth keeping.
1709349920755.jpeg

I then got interested and tried to find information/reviews on various different brands but really was none too impressed with the information provided. Let’s just say everything I read was less than scientific. 😉

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never thought about putting some in the cellar. That issue will be taken care of.
I have a couple of green ones that I'd like to try night fishing with though that are in the boat. I was thinking of tying up to a tree somewhere at night and lowering one or two over the side to attract bait fish, which attract the predator fish, but haven't done it yet.
I have two, one white light and the other green that attach to the battery for the same thing, but these glow sticks are cheap and don't run the battery down.
I'll try them one of these days.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude they’re totally waterproof… y’all never went night diving for glow sticks in a pool?

I keep a few in preps. I buy them occasionally. I more often use them inside gallon water jugs at night on the lake for catfish jugs. I like to buy the ones after Halloween time when they go on clearance at Walmart. Literally get them for pennies

Although the more serious, survival/camping/road hazard/emergency types are much better quality than the kids Halloween ones

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude they’re totally waterproof… y’all never went night diving for glow sticks in a pool?
I have never really messed with them. But I should get and keep some.
When we were kids (late 60's and 70's), up until about age 12 or 13, we dove in pools in search of the rubber super ball (which you had to hurry or it would roll to the depths) or pennies (because they were visible against white bottom). At about 14 or 15 we started diving a little deeper (metaphorically) for bikini bottoms. Grab Ass and Chicken Fights with Chicks on shoulders seem to take priority in the pool. Glow sticks, first introduced in the mid 70's, were for police and military initially and probably expensive. I don't think they got reasonably priced and made for the masses until the 80's-90's. I was also just a little too old (or mature) when the "KNIGHT LIGHT" (glow in the dark condom ) came out in 1989. I'd guess some of you younger guys have seen them disappear repeatedly. ? ! ? !

Here are some interesting facts on glow sticks, since you raised my curiosity:

The duration of a glow stick's light depends on the product type, brand, color, and temperature of the environment they are being used in1. Freshly cracked glow sticks will glow for four to eight hours, while glow sticks that were not stored properly can last as little as one hour. Glow sticks that are wrapped in foil packaging can last for up to two years, while those without foil packaging have a much shorter shelf life and will only last for a year or so. Glow sticks glow longest when stored in a refrigerator between two and eight degrees Celsius (36-46 Fahrenheit).

Latest posts

Top Bottom