Looking for a good SciFi book to read on my iPad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto on anything from heinlein. Also check out Alan dean foster's pip and flinx series, starting with For Love Of Mother Not.

Not to mention there are a thousand star treck/wars offshoot books many worth reading. I like the Han solo trilogy (starting with paradise snare) when I was a kid.

Also good but more fantasy than scifi are Jim butchers Dresden files books, Simon Greene's Nightside books and The Man With The Golden Torc and it's sequels, E. E. Knight's vampire earth series, and Anne mcaffery's dragonriders of pern.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Heinlein. It is a GREAT book. Technically, it is one of Heinlein's juvenile series. BALDERDASH! Great read.

Big ups to Heinlein. "Starship Troopers" is a good read. I also enjoyed "Job: A Comedy of Justice." "Stranger in a Strange Land" was probably his magnum opus but it slows down in places.

If you're willing to go science, rather than science fiction, "Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman" is probably one of the better books I've ever read. In the book, Feynman talks about the following:

- The work that won him the Nobel Prize in physics started with an idea he got while in a food fight in his college cafeteria.

- How he used to pick up girls in bars

-The semester he spent teaching in Brazil where he learned how to play drums from some of the locals, and ended up playing in a marching band in the big Carnival parade

- How he got bored at Los Alamos (working on the atomic bomb) and passed the time by pranking the other scientists.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
C J Cherryh, esp the "Faded Sun" trilogy...[Broken External Image]
awww.worldswithoutend.com_covers_md_cjc_thefaded.jpg

awww.worldswithoutend.com_covers_md_uklg_shonjir.jpg

Or the "Morgaine" series...
aimg1.fantasticfiction.co.uk_images_n0_n3957.jpg

Patricia A. McKillip" The "Riddlemaster" trilogy
[Broken External Image]
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51182WAN07L._SS500_.jpg

awww.worldswithoutend.com_covers_md_pam_harpisti.jpg

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ringworld series by Niven, or anything by Niven
Anything by Heinlein
Spider Robinson
Asimov

I’m a big Robert Heinlein fan, see my signature. Try “Stranger in a Strange Land” and “Glory Road”.

Isaac Asimov is good stuff; try the “Foundation” series.

Arthur C. Clark is the third leg of the “Big Three” of classic SF.

And I’ll throw in Frank Herbert for the “Dune” series.

Latest posts

Top Bottom