Looking for a mechanic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife took her car in to get the oil changed today and she had them check the brakes. She said the brakes have been grinding. They call and tell us that it needs new brakes and rotors. The mechanic shows me the rotors and he tells me they can't be turned. I really don't know enough about rotors to know if they are bad are not.

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a shop in sw okc. i also have my own brake lathe for turning rotors. i do ALOT of brakes. if your rotor is grinding metal to metal then they may not be able to be turned. if they arent i can prob turn them.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Volvo's corporate stance is that if the rotors need turning, replace the rotor. They act as a heat sink for the pads. When you turn the rotor you remove metal. Less metal=less of a heat sink and warpage will happen quicker and more severe with the turned rotors. Most Volvo parts are fairly cheap. Just remember that with brake parts you get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom