Martial arts schools OKC and surrounding areas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonhismean

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grand Master Won's: (405) 793-0752 - 10801 S Sunnylane Rd, Oklahoma City, OK.

My daughter went there from 1st grade to sixth. Great place for kids. They have a martial arts summer camp that includes tae kwon do lessions, as well as field trips; museums, swimming, etc...the kids even grow thier own veggies during the summer. They also have trips to the libray, and give oral book reports during the summer camp to improve self confidence/public speakling.

Good place.
Well we gave this place a try last nt and I was kinda impressed but we have 2 more free nights there that we will take advantage of.

vonhismean

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
surprised noone has mentioned haggertys on sooner and reno. check em out.

I've left a few voicemails on there phone and haven't heard anything back from them in 2 weeks so I can't say I'm impressed with them so far but if they offer some free nights I would still give them the benefit of checking them out!

vonhismean

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We can best answer your question if we know what you want for your kids. Are you looking for self defense or competition skills that can be applied to self defense? Do you see wrestling in their future?

Are you more interested in games, fitness and with some discipline thrown in for good measure?

As mentioned, Lovato's and USA Stars have good children's programs. OKCDT in Edmond has a good kids' judo program.

Lovato's: http://okbjj.com/Warriors.htm
They offer one free night so we are gonna check them out I did drive by there last weekend and was impressed with there gym but it is kind of a drive for us. I think the only martial art I never got the chance to do was bjj and muay Thai so they are definitely still on our list.

vonhismean

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jack Hwang is the school I recommend when someone asks, he came to America with my instructor about 50 years ago and has been in business since the 70s at least. I'm very dubious of white boys teaching an oriental martial art, I took my daughter for 2 years to a school in Moore and after about 6 months it became more about money than actually teaching someone an art form. Of course I take Muay Thai from a white boy but the vibe is alot different and there are only 4 of us who train under him so it is definitely not about the money.

We are Tryin that place monday night.

Last edited:

sky king

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kai Dragon in Yukon. Traditional Southern Shaolin Kung Fu. My son started there ten or twelve years ago when he was still in high school. He still trains there and teaches younger and newer students. Very professional and serious about their work, and the right attitude about when to fight or not. Not a huge school, good personal training.

He and a couple of friends were at Crossroads when that LEO shot and killed the gangbanger out in the mall. When they heard the shot(s), his pals wanted to run see the commotion. Steven led them the other way.

If Yukon is not inconvenient, you might drop in and check it out. I don't know the exact address, but I'll get it for you if you're interested.

Sky.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kai Dragon in Yukon. Traditional Southern Shaolin Kung Fu. My son started there ten or twelve years ago when he was still in high school. He still trains there and teaches younger and newer students. Very professional and serious about their work, and the right attitude about when to fight or not. Not a huge school, good personal training.

He and a couple of friends were at Crossroads when that LEO shot and killed the gangbanger out in the mall. When they heard the shot(s), his pals wanted to run see the commotion. Steven led them the other way.

If Yukon is not inconvenient, you might drop in and check it out. I don't know the exact address, but I'll get it for you if you're interested.

Sky.

One of my friends from the dorms in college is the instructor's #1 student and last I heard he had opened a satellite location in Stillwater. He specialized in Wing Chun and spoke very highly of the instructor and the program. I went one night to check it out and one of the older guys there told me that the deciding factor for him was watching my friend demolish seven Tae Kwon Do guys in quick succession. I know the instructor has numerous world championships in continuous sparring.

I decided not to do any martial art after I visited several schools but if location wasn't an issue, I would probably choose Haggerty's. Authentic, traditional Goju-Ryu Karate, with a lineage directly back to the founder of the style, really appeals to me. Americanized "Karate" holds no appeal and I'd just as soon take Muay Thai as go to one of those schools.

Latest posts

Top Bottom