Mass shooting at Oregon community college - 10-15 dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Horrible situation.

If what I read was correct, Oregon law allows concealed carry on campuses unless the campus has a policy against it. This one had a policy against it and they only had a single unarmed campus security officer.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Horrible situation.

If what I read was correct, Oregon law allows concealed carry on campuses unless the campus has a policy against it. This one had a policy against it and they only had a single unarmed campus security officer.

I'd be interested to know if there are any campuses that actually willingly ALLOW carry on-campus? Anyone know how to find that info?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting.... according to this:

http://www.armedcampuses.org/oregon/

There are some that allow carry for normal (non-LEO and non-military) students "with written permission". I wonder how many people actually get approval for this???

Oklahoma has this limited provision:
Any property authorized by the written consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator, provided the written consent is carried with the handgun and the valid handgun license while on college, university, or technology center school property.
OK 21 : 1277

I actually had such written permission from our junior college while teaching the SDA class on college property. (I no longer teach SDA courses)

I have been told that ALL requests for carrying on OU property were denied. It is up to the individual College President in OK.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma has this limited provision:
OK 21 : 1277

I actually had such written permission from our junior college while teaching the SDA class on college property. (I no longer teach SDA courses)

I have been told that ALL requests for carrying on OU property were denied. It is up to the individual College President in OK.

Exactly... I knew about the OK law, I was specifically wondering about Oregon, but the question stands for ALL states. The site I linked is, of course, highly anti-gun on college campuses, but the information may still be accurate for the purposes of this research and discussion.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, Yes, Yes (not because of not showing baby pics, maybe the name, as it has been reported that the jackass made threats last night about doing this, and nothing was done about it), and last but not least so what, he didn't do a damn thing to stop his brother, and probably had an idea about it, even if he didn't think that he would do it.

The amount of sheer ignorance in your post is staggering. The shooter supposedly made vague references on a web site that all posters are anonymous. There is no way to know if he's the one that was making the post, and no one knew his name. As for Ryan Lanza, he didn't even live in the same state as his brother and had very little contact with him in the months leading up to the shooting. Adam was carrying Ryan's ID during the shooting and the press reported, incorrectly, that Ryan was the shooter. There is no reason, none, other than in your hate-filled mind, to think Ryan Lanza had any knowledge of his brother's plan. He was thoroughly investigated by the police, and completely cleared. But, don't let the facts get in your way.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly... I knew about the OK law, I was specifically wondering about Oregon, but the question stands for ALL states. The site I linked is, of course, highly anti-gun on college campuses, but the information may still be accurate for the purposes of this research and discussion.

handgunlaw.us has this note about Oregon campus carry:

Note: In Early March 2012 Oregon's State Board of Higher Education voted unanimously to ban all firearms on the system's seven campuses. Anyone who does any business on University property must agree not to carry any firearms. The policy allows people with Concealed Handgun License to be on campus but are barred from any Building or Arena. Any Student/Faculty or anyone who does business on University Property could be expelled from the property losing their student status or Job with the University System. Police and Military are exempt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom