Moving a safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the impact socket and break over with cheater doesn't do the trick, or the bolt head is stripped, drill it out. Center punch the center of bolt head, or use a small bit to start. Then use a bolt the size of the bolt shank and drill slowly so you don't get it hot and harden the bolt. Use a shop vac to clean up the cuttings and no harm to safe. You may have to remove the shelving to get the room needed as you want to be straight over the top of the bolts. Head lamp will help with lighting.

There's a great idea.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It sounds like the bolts are small enough that you might be able to use leverage to get them to loosen up from the floor.

Use the height and weight of the safe to see if you can get it to rock back and forth at all. The more you rock it, the more it should start to give. A couple of decent sized guys might be able to get it to wiggle loose.

A long heavy duty pry bar used at the bottom of the safe after you create a gap should help also.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try drilling through the head of the bolt with a bit that is a little bigger than bolt diameter. If you can find a left hand bit, they sometimes will back the bolt out. Drilling will decrease the chance of catching things on fire or making dust. Even if the bolts don't back out ,the heads will be off.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try one more time with a breaker bar, but put a propane or mapp torch on it first. If that doesn't work, try your best to figure out a way to get an angle grinder on it. Drilling is a great idea if you have good bits and can keep it cool, but crappy bits will only waste your time. Angle grinder will be the faster way if you can get the bottom layer off. I'm assuming it is just a carpet and drywall type liner. Use an razor blade and try to remove it in a way you can reuse it. If none of those ideas work, rip it out and patch it.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My tool choices for this would be, 1" drive impact, angle grinder and if I didn't have those a chisel preferably air powered but hand type would work, next I'd get out the gas axe. If those didn't work, I'd drill the bolt heads as mentioned above. Sounds like you definitely need to remove the floor lining.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He epoxied the nuts onto the bolts? If so heating with a propane torch will break the bond. It works for thread lockers and retaining compounds and they are stronger than epoxies. I know on the high strength retaining compounds you'll need north of 300 degrees as most of them have a 300 degree working range. Wrench them off while they are hot, once cooled they go back to stuck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom