Mower is trying to kill me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have green slime in this one, it is not holding air. Once I get6 the freaking counter weight on this thing I am going to take the tire off and bubble check it in the kitchen sink. If I can not plug it and make it hold I will have a tube put in it. I am just to darn stubborn to give up yet. I just need to figure out how to hold the cast iron weight in place while I bolt it up.
Got a floor jack, or screw jack? I have both if you need to borrow one. Or two. Furniture dolly, a piece of plywood, and a couple of jacks might be what you need, too.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend brought a tire over for me to mount on her Dodge Challenger an 18"
That was easier than the tube I put in a 6" front riding mower tire the other day.

Yea I made my own bead breaker decades ago and I use tire spoons and soap.
One friend had a slow tire leak no one could fix on her truck. They charged her every time.
I found the leak at the bead.

That tire had some tacky black crap all over the beads to make it seal.
Did not work.

The fix.
That little hard plastic serial number sticker in the bead area of the tire was the issue.
I peeled it out and the tire never leaked again.
NO goo on the bead or rim all that junk was removed.

Think about that when you have a bead leak.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks but if I have not got the tire holding air by Wednesday I will take it in. I should have before now but I am a little bit stubborn and wanted to do it myself. I will have the bagger finished before the day is over.

Again thanks for the offer and new friends are always good to find. You will find the folks here are the best on the web. Even if they do bicker like a bunch of old hens at times. Oh and a few real oddballs too.
My mower deck is disassembled waiting on parts I had no money to pay for until yesterday when I sold my Glock to an OSA member.
Then bust knuckles trying to reassemble.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can raise the tire off the ground use some dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Spin the tire and spray. Look carefully for leaks and be sure to spray the beads, I’ve had them leak occasionally. Take the valve cap off and spray the stem it might just need to be tightened. Good luck.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can raise the tire off the ground use some dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Spin the tire and spray. Look carefully for leaks and be sure to spray the beads, I’ve had them leak occasionally. Take the valve cap off and spray the stem it might just need to be tightened. Good luck.
Air it up after you jack it up, and put a couple tablespoons full of DW detergent in the sprayer bottle, or if you have grandkids, some of the bubble solution for them will work straight! Then hose it down thoroughly to get the detergent/soap residue off the rim. This is probably a great deal easier than taking the thing off the mower and submerging it in a bucket of water. Not as effective, but a lot easier! ;)

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A. Repair deck? What are you mowing? Rocks?
B. You probably didn't pump in enough slime. You have to pump it in and mow the yard. At least a cups worth. It has to work it's way thru flexing into all the nooks and crannies. Slime usually won't help a loose valvestem core. You gotta tighten that yourself.
C. If you have it professionally repaired and it leaks again, your running over something in the yard.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A. Repair deck? What are you mowing? Rocks?
B. You probably didn't pump in enough slime. You have to pump it in and mow the yard. At least a cups worth. It has to work it's way thru flexing into all the nooks and crannies. Slime usually won't help a loose valvestem core. You gotta tighten that yourself.
C. If you have it professionally repaired and it leaks again, your running over something in the yard.
I hit a cast iron 4" pipe cover the phone company put on a pipe they quit using. It was in deep grass and I didnt see it as I was watching that I didnt hit the new stuff they installed. Trashed a blade spindle and bent both blades. On a 104 deg humid day, weeee, about killed me getting the mower òff the pipe and up to the garage and lifted so I could lay there sweating looking at the metal carnage and beat up my hands and arms trying to get the deck off and disassembled.
I hate having to mow, every since I was a kid sweatin balls with a crappy push mower in deep grass on a big yard for unappreciative adults complaining that it doesnt look like a golf course when I am done.
I have spent so much money on mowers and weed eaters over the years. I love my current house but I cant keep up with big yard anymore

Latest posts

Top Bottom