My $12 DIY Jeep Hardtop Hoist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for an easier setup up and down, try a boat trailer winch on the wall with pulleys and cable where your straps are...I made one about 10 years ago for my TJ, and it works great...

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like ratchet straps you used? Make sure you have a friend or two with you when it is time to lower the top back down it reinstall. You ever see how those ratchet straps react with a heavy load and you try to loosen them up?

I didnt use ratchet straps. I used those straps that you pull to tighten and have to push the release thing to loosen. I figured ratchet straps would be too hard when lowering.

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am getting a jeep in the near future and was wondering how I would get the top off by myself. This is a great idea. Maybe I should just get a rag top?

I can't say much about a rag top since I've never had one. But having a hard top is really nice. No wind noise, stays warm/cool just like a regular solid top. Only issue was removing it, which I have solved.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am getting a jeep in the near future and was wondering how I would get the top off by myself. This is a great idea. Maybe I should just get a rag top?

Best Top Super top is hard to beat. On and off by yourself in about 2 minutes. I have had many of both. The new Jeeps may be better then the old. I like the old CJs. The new Jeeps are nothing like the old Jeeps.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is exactly what I did. My son lives out of state and my wife won't help me lift it off so I'm 100% on my own on the task. Good call on only letting the straps with a cushion touch the top itself. Hooking it under the top chips the bottom over time. I ratchet mine all the way to the ceiling and put a towel between the hard top and ceiling to keep it from scratching. Watch your head, I constantly bang mine on the bottom LOL

Ratchet straps are fine as long as you don't let the metal touch the top and scratch it. Weight of the top is no problem either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom