Need Vacation advise from OSA!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Frizzell

Marksman
Reaction score
The Enchanted Circle area of North central New Mexico and then into Durango-Silverton-Ooray drive is all spectacular. Take what you like with you when you drive versus TSA restrictions? Good choice to lean toward the drive.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its the 4 corners area.... I know it well. I have 40 acres up by Telluride. Sorry about flying....never flew into that area, I always drive it. Taos....unless you LIKE art....and LOVE S.W. art.....avoid it. The Taos publeo is nice......but just once for me. In the Durango area ....ride the train and drive the million dollar highway from Durango to Ridgeway. In Telluride, rent a jeep and go on some old logging and timing trails.....the rental place will help you. Fish in the Dolores River, see the town of Doors and go to Cortez and see Mesa Verde.
I would stay in Cortez or Durango. CALL ahead and reserve a room, summer months are busy.
The drive North of Albuquerque to Santa Fe to Pagosa is nice and you get to see and experience the towns. It takes awhile to get to Colorado going this way.
A shorter way....to get to Durango and Cortez faster is....
Go North of Albuquerque on I 25, turn West on 550. Take 550 to Cuba, then to Durango area or over to Farmington to Cortez.
You can bypass Albuquerque at Clines Corners on I40. This is a short cut to Santa Fe.
Be more specific and I'll give you more ideas for that area.
Cohiba. Sorry for the mis-spelling.....this d@#$ new 4g phone has a mind of its own and re-spells words for me.......I hate it.

Last edited:

dolidog2000

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We flew to DC, stayed at the Madison hotel, spent 5 days touring everything & had a ball. We used the "Old Town Trolley" & it took us to every attraction in town. As for money, I calculated the cost to drive the motorhome a 7 MPG as opposed to flying & hotel & the motorhome won by a landslide. Now for the negative part: I would have driven for 5 to 6 days round trip & put up with Baltimore, DC traffic. We chose to spend the extra $$$ & are glad we did.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how about the Talihina Drive a hr south of FT smith? its a great drive, a 5 star hotel on top of mountain, plenty of hiking trails,and a shooting range in ok at the bottom of mountain.if you do go to Pikes Peak DONT SIT ON A PARKED CAR IN COLORODO SPRINGS!!! its a 150$ FINE.anti crusing law. but the law appias anywhere ,anytime.another law that reaffirms why we dont live in a free country.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
how about the Talihina Drive a hr south of FT smith? its a great drive, a 5 star hotel on top of mountain, plenty of hiking trails,and a shooting range in ok at the bottom of mountain.

I was starting to wonder if anyone would ever suggest anyplace in Oklahoma. you guys all missed your callings as representatives for the Okla department of tourism ;)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how about the Talihina Drive a hr south of FT smith? its a great drive, a 5 star hotel on top of mountain, plenty of hiking trails,and a shooting range in ok at the bottom of mountain.if you do go to Pikes Peak DONT SIT ON A PARKED CAR IN COLORODO SPRINGS!!! its a 150$ FINE.anti crusing law. but the law appias anywhere ,anytime.another law that reaffirms why we dont live in a free country.

What 5 star hotel?

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry guys ive seen about every stone in the road in oklahoma east of 35. Ouchita national forrest is very nice though. I made the eureka springs drive about a month ago.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the 4 star hotel on the talihina drive is the Queen Wilhemina, its just on the ARK side of the drive,60% of drive is on OK other 40% is in ARK.there is a hwy that goes up the side of mountain to hotel.at bottom of mountain on that hwy is public shooting range, 100 yards,nice overhead roof ,concrete shooting benches , but no facilities , and no one out there either,1 mile west of hwy ,gravel road,in the boonies ,no anything out there,but trees,bring your own targets,at your own risk.the BEST vacation i ever had was when i was 8 and my parent just packed up and headed south to louisiana with no plans at all!!. try that ,who knows what adventures a wait.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom