New AR-build or buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at ARs. Lots of info out there on building one. I like the idea of building my own....but since $ doesn't grow on trees at my house I have to watch the dollars and cents. Does building an AR cost more or less than buying one with compareable features/specs?

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thoughts were why buy them replace things I didnt like. Build it right the first time. I believe I built it cheaper than I could have bought one anyway. Dsgarms has a great mil discount that I used

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get a complete rifle at FBT right now for just over $600 tax included OTD. Hard as HELL to beat that.

The only reason I don't is that I like to build mine to match my plans and desires. Different gas blocks, forends, grips, stocks, etc.

If you're looking for a basic bone-stock one, you can't beat what they're offering. If you want to build it perfect for your tastes the first time, take your time and collect parts as you go.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get a complete rifle at FBT right now for just over $600 tax included OTD. Hard as HELL to beat that.

The only reason I don't is that I like to build mine to match my plans and desires. Different gas blocks, forends, grips, stocks, etc.

If you're looking for a basic bone-stock one, you can't beat what they're offering. If you want to build it perfect for your tastes the first time, take your time and collect parts as you go.

This! ^

I built my first one in just under 13 years! Yeah, you think you will stay on top of it until its finished, but other things pop up and you keep putting it off.

You can always start with a $600 rifle and customize it like you want it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It REALLY depends on what you want out of it. You can't match the price on some of the specials like FBT or even PSA. You can build one to high end specs cheaper than some manufacturers such as Noveske or Knights and you can build one with specific features cheaper in many cases. Just keep in mind that unless you can document each component and your build specs, a DIY AR will have less resale value than a high quality factory built rifle.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is another vote for FBT. After all the research I did here and elsewhere, checked the prices of parts, etc. it was cheaper to build it. With what I wanted it would have cost me over 250 more to buy it outright than build it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom