New bolt gun build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had the bug for a surgeon action build for quite some time. Sourced a used action a while back finally got around to gathering everything else up. I wanted a shorter barreled light/mid weight rifle to use as a medium range killing machine. I already have a couple of dedicated long range rifle. A 6.5-06 .280ai 7stw (three of them) and a couple of .300 win mags. I settled on 7-08 ackley imp for the caliber (I love .284" chamberings) Kenny Jarrett builds lots of rifles in this caliber and gets an honest 3050fps with a 140gn nosler out of a 20" barrel. I opted for a 1:9 twist benchmark barrel and had it cut to 21". The stock I ordered is a McMillan game scout in mcwoody pattern.
Here's a full parts breakdown.
Surgeon 591 action
Surgeon bottom metal
Ai mag (modified to work in bottom metal)
McMillan gamescout stock
Benchmark 1:9 twist #5 contour
Timney trigger adjusted to 1 3/4 lb pull
Night force 3.5-15x56 nxs scope with moar reticle mounted in ultralight low night force rings.
The bipod is a Caldwell I already had.
I plan to use barnes 140gn ttsx bullets
I bought 40 rounds of factory Winchester silver tip 140gn for break in purposes. I also have 50 pieces of Norma 7mm-08 I'll load to fire form later. I used a friend who shoots nbrsa and does his own gunsmithing to plumb it. There may be better smiths out there (George at gap the guys at surgeon john beanland Steve Baldwin among others) but Steve knew what I wanted in a finished rifle and being a benchrest shooter knows what makes guns shoot and was affordable and quick turn around time. I couldn't be happier with the end result. It balances great points like a bird gun and should be amazingly accurate. I hope to get 3100 fps plus. I've only fired five rounds thus far and cleaning after each shot and scrubbing all the copper out takes time (having a bore scope makes that part a *****). Haven't shot a group yet took three rounds to get it sighted in at 200 yds. Hopefully I'll get it broken in to shoot a few groups next Sunday. Here's some Picts. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424142520.643537.jpgView attachment 45942ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424142578.263379.jpgView attachment 45944

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I like my non belted 7's as well. Interesting with 7mm08 AI, never seen one in use, and anxious to see what accuracy you get. Looks great!

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a great build. I love anything 7mm. Just out of curiosity why the the Barnes 140 over the Berger 140? You're giving up quite a bit BC with the Barnes.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a great build. I love anything 7mm. Just out of curiosity why the the Barnes 140 over the Berger 140? You're giving up quite a bit BC with the Barnes.

I've had terrible luck with the on game performance of bergers myself. It's a hunting rifle first and for most. If it where truly a target gun I'd most likely use the bergers, but I've never had a barnes fail me or my expectations on game or paper. I load barnes in everything from .224"-.375" stuff and have the upmost confidence in my bullet of choice.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of reading on squeezing the ultimate accuracy from a rifle and I think you are doing yourself a disservice by scrubbing all that copper out. You want some of it in there to "fill in" the imperfections in the rifling. I'd shoot five and clean, shoot five and clean, and then just shoot until accuracy falls off with nothing more than a few pulls of a bore snake with some mild solvent like Hoppes after each outing.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good! I like your choice of bullets. The TTSX 308 loads shoot as well as Federal GMM and do a helluva job on game. I also agree with ripnbst on copper being your friend.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of reading on squeezing the ultimate accuracy from a rifle and I think you are doing yourself a disservice by scrubbing all that copper out. You want some of it in there to "fill in" the imperfections in the rifling. I'd shoot five and clean, shoot five and clean, and then just shoot until accuracy falls off with nothing more than a few pulls of a bore snake with some mild solvent like Hoppes after each outing.
There's some Merrit to some copper fouling. I'm not denying that. The benchrest guys I respect seem to believe that you need to season a barrel to achieve the upmost accuracy from your barrel. I've found that by breaking a barrel in I can get longer and more accurate shot strings. I have shot 25 rounds thus far and finally shot a 3shot group that measured .383 thousands. If you subtract the bullet diameter (I don't subscribe to that belief) that's an incredible group by most peoples standards. Granted that was at only 100yds but considering I'm still shooting factory ammo and fire forming cases this gun shows some incredible potential. I'll shoot at 10 shot group soon and post the results. I've found that a 10shot group is the true indicator of accuracy. I'm happy with it this far. Can't wait to tune a load for this one. And i ordered another barrel I found on sale Friday so when I burn the throat I can rebarrel it with the same brand of tube. Hope to get 2500-3k rounds from this one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom