New Ruger Ranch Rifle or New Low End AR? Which to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1S1K

I have about $750 in this:

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_18in_20CMMG_20AR_15_100_5635_Small.jpg

Had about $800 in this one:

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_AR15_9721af67.jpg

I'm a fan of the accuracy and ergonomics of the AR-15. I'd like to get a Mini some day, but at the current prices, the AR is just more versatile IMO.

Great job on those rifles. I like both but the best I can do with the ruger at 100 yds is 1.5in ( got same grouping with my ak's), where I can get 3/4 on my 16in dpms barrelled AR ( cheapest barrel I've used). My brother in law has same issue with his Mini 14. So I guess based on my experience if you want accuracy go with ar if you want a rifle that is tough go with mini or ak.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get a Plum Crazy complete lower from Mark's Firearms - $129.

http://marksfirearms.com/AR15_Builder_Supplies.html

Then a complete upper from FatBoy Tactical - $399.

http://fatboytactical.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=6

Add a rear sight of your choice and get some mags and you have an AR for <$600.

This is what I did two years ago when I decided I wanted an AR but did not want to spend lots of money on one (bought the lower from Mark, and a DSA complete upper from Jeff of FB Tactical in a group buy here on OSA, then got a Magpul rear MBUIS). I have been very happy with it, especially for the price. I know it is not a mil-spec rifle, but I am not taking it into battle either. I punch holes in paper at the range for fun and shoot coyotes with it. I have also shot several rifle matches at Oil Capital and USSA with it.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid, the hot ticket was a 1967-69 Camaro with SB Chevy power; I ran big-block Mopars in B and E bodies. Now that I'm somewhat old, the racing bicycle of choice has a carbon fiber frame and fork; I ride a steel frame with a steel fork. The point is, I dare to be different. There are dozens of different companies building ARs, with thousands of people building their own rifles from component parts--good for them. I bought a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical. I never was the cool kid, and I never will be, but I'm happy with my Mini-14. In fact, I hope you AR-15 guys like your rifle as much as--or more than--I like mine. We can agree to disagree on this issue. I won't mind.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get a Plum Crazy complete lower from Mark's Firearms - $129.

http://marksfirearms.com/AR15_Builder_Supplies.html

Then a complete upper from FatBoy Tactical - $399.

http://fatboytactical.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=6

Add a rear sight of your choice and get some mags and you have an AR for <$600.

This is what I did two years ago when I decided I wanted an AR but did not want to spend lots of money on one (bought the lower from Mark, and a DSA complete upper from Jeff of FB Tactical in a group buy here on OSA, then got a Magpul rear MBUIS). I have been very happy with it, especially for the price. I know it is not a mil-spec rifle, but I am not taking it into battle either. I punch holes in paper at the range for fun and shoot coyotes with it. I have also shot several rifle matches at Oil Capital and USSA with it.

That's good to here!

rehpot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find an arsenal ak or vepr for arround $600 buy it then trade it to me for an ar15. Kidding aside, it's hard to find a those brand of ak's sub $650 so if you find one below that, grab it. You can build cheap ar anytime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom