New texting while driving law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. If treated like "texting" auto accidents, it's any non-voice data transfer in progress at the time, which pretty much means an officer just has to claim to have seen you "texting" to get cause for a traffic stop, and the only way you can get out of it is if your phone was physically turned off and are willing to go through the hassle of getting detailed connection logs from your carrier.

Most people will pay the $250 fine and likely 30-50% insurance premium increase (the expensive part the sheep forget about).

Yep...so answering a call, making a call, using GPS, checking Notes/Memo, or any other action used in efficiency or tasking. (of course Facebooking or any other social media is unnecessary)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got rid of my cell phone months ago. No need to worry about if I have a charger with me, no carrying those spare battery packs, no constantly checking my messages or voicemails or emails or what-have-you... I got away from Facebook several years ago, so that wasn't any issue anymore.

Basically I'm disconnected except the occasional e-mail.

Hell, I don't really have any friends, anyways, so it's not a big deal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was on my way home from the farm this evening, and came across this accident. Car was east bound, crossed the center line and went into the ditch, endo'd one time, and ended on its top. Checked the scene, called star55, and reported it.
They said the driver was transported by PV.
Wondered if the person was on their phone?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439875683.209875.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439875698.006386.jpg

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still would be transferring data.
Yepp. Ok, I transferred data. I dont and havent ever texted while driving but yes I do transfer data I suppose. What is the exact offense or limits of the offense? Texting while driving and/or transferring of data while driving, or just texting while driving? What about On Star? Isnt that transferring data? And GPS? If texting while driving is the only offense then my phone connected to Bluetooth for purposes of handsfree playing of music or handsfree voice texting and talking vs manual texting is not illegal? But as someone said most will just say F it and pay tickets, if theyre caught.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not a perfect law, and it won't stamp out completely the ongoing trend of wanting to be connected at all times, even at the expense of being socially and personally considerate and responsible, but...

Joy, hallelujah.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are they still "driving" when they're sitting through the green because they're too busy fiddling with the phone to see it (or just not finished whatever they're doing and don't give a **** that other people are waiting behind them)?

Latest posts

Top Bottom