New texting while driving law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to this, the law only forbids writing, reading or sending a text. Nothing to do with voice transmission of data. And the fine is $100.
My phone goes into text to voice mode when it detects that I am moving at faster than a walk speed. Its essentially the same as taking on the phone and I dont have t even remove it from my shirt pocket to hear it.
http://kfor.com/2015/08/18/oklahoma-citys-texting-and-driving-ban-moves-forward/

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is this law going to apply to law enforcement officers as well? I've seen just about as many police officers on their phones at intersections (and while driving) as I've seen ordinary citizens.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are they still "driving" when they're sitting through the green because they're too busy fiddling with the phone to see it (or just not finished whatever they're doing and don't give a **** that other people are waiting behind them)?

See, there are already laws that could be applied to using a phone or other device or any other distraction, same as the situation mentioned above. Impeding the flow of traffic, inattentive driving, distracted driving etc.

distracted driving:
"The operator of every vehicle, while driving, shall devote their full time and attention to such driving." "No law enforcement officer shall issue a citation under this section unless the law enforcement officer observes that the operator of the vehicle is involved in an accident or observes the operator of the vehicle driving in such a manner that poses an articulable danger to other persons on the roadway that is not otherwise specified in statute."

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is this law going to apply to law enforcement officers as well? I've seen just about as many police officers on their phones at intersections (and while driving) as I've seen ordinary citizens.

i don't know about the new oklahoma law, but the town government where i live in in Mississippi has a zero tolerance rule against city employees using phones while in city vehicles. If an accident happens, and it's shown they were using their phone, they are fired on the spot i believe.

The police chief wasn't too pleased when pictures started popping up of officers driving around town and texting.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to this, the law only forbids writing, reading or sending a text. Nothing to do with voice transmission of data.

But if it's treated like auto accidents attributed to texting/Facebooking/etc., the standard currently applied is that non-voice channel data was being transmitted.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are they still "driving" when they're sitting through the green because they're too busy fiddling with the phone to see it (or just not finished whatever they're doing and don't give a **** that other people are waiting behind them)?

Unfortunately the operative words are "While in motion".

Crud - it'll probably get worse then, since they'll have to catch up on what they've missed since pulling out of the S-Mart parking lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom