Officer uses knife during fight with suspect

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the academy we were instructed that deadly force is deadly force, whether it is using your gun, knife, car, brick, rock or anything else that was laying nearby. At the end of your shift your only priority is to go home safely. If TPD tries to fry this officer over using a knife to ensure his own safety there will be huge backlash.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm very glad that officer has to fill out the additional paperwork after this incident and face whatever hearings may come about as a result of it. He got to go home that night.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTH is the officer's "emergency button"?

I also find it odd the way the article was written that the mention he was a black man isn't until the middle of the article and mentioned sort of in passing. Not up at the top something to the effect of "...was chasing the suspect who was a black male later identified as..."

I do not fault the officer for using his knife at all, idiot shouldn't have run.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTH is the officer's "emergency button"?

I also find it odd the way the article was written that the mention he was a black man isn't until the middle of the article and mentioned sort of in passing. Not up at the top something to the effect of "...was chasing the suspect who was a black male later identified as..."

I do not fault the officer for using his knife at all, idiot shouldn't have fought with the police.

Fixed it for you. What the hell does running from the police have to do with qualifying you for getting stabbed? Just saying.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct I suppose. Does resisting/fighting automatically justify stabbing though? Knife is deadly force so does fighting auto justify a firearm too? (Just asking, no one get your panties in a wad)

I am curious, LEO's, with such rare instances of knife use, how will this be viewed among LEO's? I mean, why would he have to stab the guy? Did the BG have a knife? gun? Was the officer getting beaten badly in the fight and the only equalizer he could justify was his knife? Though IMO if you are being pummeled bad enough to justify knife then gun wouldn't the gun be justified too. Maybe residential area and concern for others with bullets flying? Really too many variables to try and account for all decision making going on at light speed while in a fight but just curious what other officers think about the use of the knife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom