OKC Man Shot Himself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possibly could depend on how old the shotgun is. My grandpa had a Sears & Roebuck bolt action shotgun that my dad talked about as a kid that had a firing pin issue. He talked about how it could go off with a sudden jolt to the shotgun like when they were jumping over a fence. My uncle has sense had a gunsmith work on the shotgun to fix the problem as well as restoring this family heirloom that I would shoot as a kid as well.

This. I was also thinking slam fire

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spoke with somebody at my work that used to be LE. He says it has to do with the insurance. If they charge the deceased with a crime, "apparently that's what they do in suicides" the life insurance company doesn't have to pay out.

Yeah, that ain't completely right.

Terrible, terrible tragedy.

His family has my prayers.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly could depend on how old the shotgun is. My grandpa had a Sears & Roebuck bolt action shotgun that my dad talked about as a kid that had a firing pin issue. He talked about how it could go off with a sudden jolt to the shotgun like when they were jumping over a fence. My uncle has sense had a gunsmith work on the shotgun to fix the problem as well as restoring this family heirloom that I would shoot as a kid as well.

I had a mossberg bolt .410 that would go off if you slammed the bolt shut hard enough. Sad deal

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a guy in the ER tonight who was blind in one eye, had false left-sided upper teeth and such... turned out it was from an accident 6 or 8 years ago with a firearm. I asked him the story, just so I could share it here and learn for myself.

He said he was out hunting and had his .45 cal black powder pistol. He put it in the right-sided holster when he was out hunting, and when he went to pull the belt up, the weight of the gun caused it to tilt barrel-up and it slid out of the holster and blammo - right in the mouth from the right side, tracking up and to his left. Took out his mandible (upper jaw/teeth area) and his left eye. Bad deal. I told him, "You're one lucky son-of-a-*****." He agreed, "You're damn right I am."

Semper vigilate.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a guy in the ER tonight who was blind in one eye, had false left-sided upper teeth and such... turned out it was from an accident 6 or 8 years ago with a firearm. I asked him the story, just so I could share it here and learn for myself.

He said he was out hunting and had his .45 cal black powder pistol. He put it in the right-sided holster when he was out hunting, and when he went to pull the belt up, the weight of the gun caused it to tilt barrel-up and it slid out of the holster and blammo - right in the mouth from the right side, tracking up and to his left. Took out his mandible (upper jaw/teeth area) and his left eye. Bad deal. I told him, "You're one lucky son-of-a-*****." He agreed, "You're damn right I am."

Semper vigilate.

WoW....

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago my cousin shot himself with a shotgun pulling it out of the trunk, it was a OLD side by side 12 with double hammers, one of the hammers got snagged on something and almost blew his arm off.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very sad event.

I have seen two Mossberg bolt action shotguns that would fire when you closed the bolt. One of them missed a lady by about a foot and blew a big hole in the outside wall from the living room. They put a large cork in the hole in the inside wall, and stuffed an old jacket in the much larger exit hole in the siding. The other was a pawnshop purchase that became a really cool lamp, but I had to try it out first. I primed an empty shell, went into the back yard, and put the shell in the chamber (no magazine). Closed the bolt, and POW!

Bolt action shotguns are the weakest shotgun actions, and my vote is to use them as ugly wall hangers or turn them into lamps. Many of them carry a lot of sentiment, but just because you love something doesn't make it advisable to use it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They just reported on a musician who accidentally killed himself while getting his hunting rifle out of his vehicle. They said he was a big name in a Texas outlaw country music movement, but I didn't recognize the name or any of the songs they mentioned...

Latest posts

Top Bottom