OKC's Food Truck Scene: Legit or Lame?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess over the last five years, food trucks in OKC have really caught on. There's a whole development in trendy midtown (H&8th) where they all gather and skinny jean hipsters play live music, drink craft beers, look at other hipsters, and eat food from the trucks.

thehallskitchen.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_photo_1_1024x682.jpg

I have really only had 'Big Truck Tacos' at a distributor's counter day a few years back. It was just okay, nothing really awesome. (I remember thinking the tamale lady selling out of the trunk of her car made better stuff.)

On Oct 31st, the H&8th crowd is having their last meeting before mothballing for the winter. Would it be worth going to?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some friends of ours have been running a food truck in OKC on the weekends, called the Healthy Hippo…I haven't tried their food yet, but I keep meaning too. I think they usually set up at Bleu Garten.

If you happen to see them, give it a try. They're a hard working couple with day jobs who are augmenting their income and chasin' a dream/idea.

internetscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's worth it if you have never been. Start at the coop truck right at 7. Grab a beer then go stand in a line and get some grub. Taste of Soul chicken and waffles is a good place to start. They always sell out.

Hall's Pizza Kitchen is good. Big Truck is better from the truck than the restaurant. Frank's Wurst is also really good.

It's a good look at what is happening in OKC.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love our food trucks. Some are just meh, but there's a few gems in the bunch. My favorite is probably Off The Hook. Their Smothered Seafood Fries are most excellent.

Shrimp, crawfish, crab, clams, and I think one other bit of meat (not fish) covering fries with green onions, lobster sauce, Sriracha, and some other shizz:
10402962_743715035693214_2365058586599212019_n.jpg

They have Kool-Aid pickles, too, which are pretty tasty if you're into that stuff.

Green and Grilled is okay.
Roxy's Ice Cream truck is by far the best dessert truck in town (get the Salted Caramel ice cream).

H&8th is pretty fun. Get there early because the lines get super long and the food goes fast.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks tasty, except for the barely melted cheese. I was hoping to go check it out but the misses is stuck working that night.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been to H&8 a couple times and really enjoyed it. For me the best part of the fair is the food and H&8 allows me to get the fair type food without the hassle of the fair. I recommend going at least once to check it out.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been once. It was way too crowded. Some of the food was pretty good, but none of it was worth waiting 20-30 minutes in line for. We got a couple things and ended up just walking over to Cafe do Brazil for dinner. And craft beers? I wish. There was some sort of beer embargo with one distributor having a monopoly on all of it, with only two kinds available... an IPA and a Porter. Definitely a place to smuggle your own if you want to drink there.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We now have a permanent food truck park call Bleu Garten near where H&8th is at. It's a place where various food truck can park and setup shop everyday. There's been live music and random fun stuff that go on. It's basically a mini H&8th that happens every day LOL.

The website has a calendar with a schedule of what food trucks will be there. http://www.bleugarten.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom