Oklahoma Supreme Court delays executions of two inmates suing state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the last time utah used the firing squad it was atleast 5 or 6 shooters. All but one had a blank. They had an article on it in popular mechanics years ago.

Found some talk about online

Was browsing the Popular Mechanics site, and a article about capital punishment caught my eye. I never gave much thought to how the firing squad worked, but was surprised by the means.

"Five shooters behind the partition are armed with standard Winchester Model 94 lever-action rifles. Four are loaded with a single Winchester Silver Tip 150-grain .30-.30 cartridge. This relatively light bullet expands well at short distances."

"The firing squad members stand in the firing position and take aim at the white cloth circle on the prisoner’s chest. On the command to fire, they fire simultaneously."

"The prisoner dies as a result of blood loss caused by rupture of the heart or a large blood vessel, or tearing of the lungs. The person shot loses consciousness when shock causes a fall in the supply of blood to the brain. If the shooters miss the heart, by accident or intention, the prisoner bleeds to death slowly."

Just found it interesting that it went into specifics on the make & model of the rifle used, as well as the ammo. Guess since I keep a marlin 336 by the bed, maybe I should keep it loaded with Win Silver 150 gr., since that's what the government uses.

Here's the link to the sites:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology
/military_law/1280911.html?page=2 (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/1280911.html?page=2)

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question. I have never fired blanks (I'm sure there are plenty of jokes to be made about that comment), but it seems to me like you would be able to tell the difference between blanks and live rounds

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd serve on a firing squad. But I think it should be 5 or 7 shooters and all but one should be given live rounds. We don't want to take any chances.

But honestly, the lethal injection thing is the most humane all the way around, I think, unless you go with the .45 to the back of the head/brainstem. Which, let's face it, our pansy-ass society today ain't gonna do. You just have to do the lethal injection properly. It's not frigging hard... load someone up with 20 or 30mg of Versed and then shoot 'em full of whatever other agent you want. They ain't gonna feel a thing. Period.

Much truth here. That Versed is wicked, wicked stuff ... :P

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Latest:

http://www.news9.com/story/25329428...ates-criticizes-ruling-in-execution-drug-case

OKLAHOMA CITY - An attorney for two Oklahoma death row inmates set for execution says the state's secrecy about lethal injection "undermines our courts and democracy."

Attorney Seth Day represents Clayton Lockett and Charles Warner, who challenged Oklahoma's law that keeps the source of execution drugs secret. After initially issuing a stay in the case Monday, the Oklahoma Supreme Court reversed course Wednesday and dissolved Lockett's stay.

Day says Oklahomans have no way of knowing whether the executions will be carried out "in a constitutional and humane manner" and whether the lethal drugs were obtained legally.

But Attorney General Scott Pruitt says the Oklahoma Supreme Court upheld a long-standing precedent that says the source of the drugs should remain confidential. Pruitt noted that neither Lockett nor Warner challenged their guilt or death sentences.

It is unacceptable that Oklahomans have no way of knowing that the scheduled upcoming executions of Clayton Lockett and Charles Warner would be carried out in a constitutional and humane manner. It's not even known whether the lethal injection drugs to be used were obtained legally, and nothing is known about their source, purity, or efficacy, among other questions. Oklahoma's extreme secrecy surrounding lethal injection undermines our courts and democracy."

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to a news report this morning, the OK Supreme Court has removed its stay. They also said that legislators are drawing up articles of impeachment against the justices, as they exceeded their authority, because the OK Supreme Court is only allowed to hear civil appeals; the OK Court of Criminal Appeals is the final authority on criminal cases.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to a news report this morning, the OK Supreme Court has removed its stay. They also said that legislators are drawing up articles of impeachment against the justices, as they exceeded their authority, because the OK Supreme Court is only allowed to hear civil appeals; the OK Court of Criminal Appeals is the final authority on criminal cases.

Lol ... I know one of the justices. Used to work for her daughter. Her son-in-law (wait ... he may be an ex-wife by now is in BIG trouble with the securities regulators) I can't tell you how amused I am by all this ... (the impeachment articles)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad that the families of the victims will get some sense of closure.

The death penalty is a really complicated subject. I think some people deserve it for certain crimes, I just don't trust the government with that power.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we let nonviolent drug offenders go we'd have plenty of room in the jails and budget to let god take care of the murderers and other violent types, and we as a state wouldn't have to bloody our hands killing people.

Are you CRAZY?! these for Profit contracted out jails would hurt. Their lobbying power wouldnt allow this to happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom