Pentagon to extend Military Honors to drone operators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@crrcboatz thanks for your service. Your replies inspired me to sign up. I presume there are a few folks posting in this thread that really don't understand, Honor, Valor, Camaraderie even though they may have worn the uniform.

Our focus should be exposing those who steal Valor and outright lie about their service.

I like that idea A LOT. WantoB's as I call them. That subject would serve far more purpose than degrading and insensitive comments by some here.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bronze Star awarded during in WW2, Korea and Vietnam are different and well deserved.

Bronze Star in Iraq and Afghanistan, get handed out like candy. Every high ranking fobbit / paper pusher where awarded, Bronze Stars . Every lower ranking soldiers got Army Commendation Medal. ( including the soldiers that left fob everyday )

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bronze Star awarded during in WW2, Korea and Vietnam are different and well deserved.

Bronze Star in Iraq and Afghanistan, get handed out like candy. Every high ranking fobbit / paper pusher where awarded, Bronze Stars . Every lower ranking soldiers got Army Commendation Medal. ( including the soldiers that left fob everyday )

Actually, they awarded nearly 3/4 of million Bronze Stars in Vietnam (far more more than WWII), and only around 150k have been awarded in the 15 years of our involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere during the GWOT. But you are correct, our officers have often adopted it as their own "reward" for sitting in the command post which certainly doesn't help the reputation. You're right about the ARCOM, it's the only medal that's been awarded more often than the BS in recent history! Crazy.

I don't take the position none of them were well deserved (except for specific individual cases that I have first hand knowledge of, and nearly every award has some of those). My point is that they are perceived to be something they aren't, strictly a valorous award, and so many have been awarded that in the absence of individual details they are fairly common. Certainly there are a great many that come with great sacrifice and have book worthy stories. None of what I've echoed diminishes those acts, or the medal itself...unless you have reading comprehension issues and a chip on your shoulder.

Some folks can't grasp that point and are taking offense. Again, not my problem.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My AFSC was 2E190 when I retired. What was yours?

How is that relevant to the factual discussion about the award criteria and history of the Bronze Star, which is not reserved for combat MOSs/Rates/AFSCs?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you hung up on a bronze star? Yes, they are awarded for Meritorious Service.....anyone drawing combat pay qualifies for it. It's awarded for several reasons...Meritorious Service is the leading reason. Anyone can be awarded one except select Airmen. So I doubt a drone pilot would qualify if he went above and beyond in doing his job.

However a drone pilot could be awarded one for doing a job outside of his piloting duties. Now knock it off. Your disgracing yourself.

Lol. There's certainly someone here hung on it, and it ain't me! And thanks for echoing my point.

Good luck with that post count. Got any old medals to sell? How about license plates? I know some folks who'll gobble that sh$t up! Lol.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is there so much hatred for one MOS vs another? I have heard the term "fobbit" and the such for years, and never understood why one MOS was better than the other? Is it the whole combat machismo thing?

I thought we were all fighting under one flag, but damned if this thread doesn't make me think that the "military" I think of as one fighting unit moving in the same direction is in fact a million fiefdoms getting in turf wars with the others who are not exactly like them.

What am I missing here?

Latest posts

Top Bottom