Pest Hunting at Night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't kill rodents. I kill pests. If they aren't bothering me or messing with my property, house, or stuff, then I leave them be. But when I pay a sizable amount of money to a lawn care company to make my lawn look good, and the armadillos come in at night and screw it up digging for grubs, then you better believe I'm going out of my way to kill every last one of them. Same with the possums — other than just being really ugly....I mean they LOOK like they have multiple diseases. They are like the poster rodents for infectious disease. If they want to walk my neighborhood and eat cat food, thats fine by me. But when they start creating a den under my shed, and burrowing through the floor of my shed during the winter to get out of the snow and cold, then yeah — I'm putting them in my crosshairs. I work hard to live the life that I have. I'm not rich, nor do I live above my means at all. I'm thankful for what I do have, and I will shoot any critter that wants to jack with it. PESTS.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA Beastep, I think you and I would get along really well brother. lol

I will lose several hours a sleep every night if I think I'm going to back just one more armadillo or possum. hahahaha

What is your preferred rifle / caliber for dillos and possums? I have a long-range and a short-range critter getter.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its usually at night so a suppressed Ruger 22/45 Lite with a cheap red dot on top since I cant see my iron sights in the dark. Or a suppressed AR in either 223 or 300 Blackout both of which have a scope and ill stick a rail mounted weapon light on it real quick. Even if you miss with the suppressed .22 they dont run off.
Whats your choice?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't kill rodents. I kill pests. If they aren't bothering me or messing with my property, house, or stuff, then I leave them be. But when I pay a sizable amount of money to a lawn care company to make my lawn look good, and the armadillos come in at night and screw it up digging for grubs, then you better believe I'm going out of my way to kill every last one of them. Same with the possums — other than just being really ugly....I mean they LOOK like they have multiple diseases. They are like the poster rodents for infectious disease. If they want to walk my neighborhood and eat cat food, thats fine by me. But when they start creating a den under my shed, and burrowing through the floor of my shed during the winter to get out of the snow and cold, then yeah — I'm putting them in my crosshairs. I work hard to live the life that I have. I'm not rich, nor do I live above my means at all. I'm thankful for what I do have, and I will shoot any critter that wants to jack with it. PESTS.

Skunks are high on my list also, high carrier of rabies. With two dogs, things do not always go as planned for them with pests, I try to help out.

The woods are just down the street. Pests might be OK there except for the coyotes, but they are not welcome in my yard.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suppressed Ruger 10/22 with XPS 3 Eotech on it. Very easy to use with PVS14. Sometimes I use a Crimson Trace IR laser on another weapon, like a GSG 22LR pistol with the Sparrow on it. With NV, you can't use any type of iron sights.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Green dot seems to work better at night turned on low when using a spotlight on them.
We are overran with dillers. My scope does red or green so it's easy to compare.

Dennishoddy, if you are "overrun" with armadillos, then I need to find out where you are at! I have pretty much decimated the armadillo population on my property. I think there was just one small little family of 7 or 8 that took me a couple weeks to "remove." I have two weapons of choice: My Marlin 795 suppressed with a 6-24 x 55 scope for long shots or my M&P 15-22 with a red dot for closer range. I use a 1,000 lumen torch on both rifles that I got off Amazon which I love. It allows me to scope anything from about 75 meters.

I just picked up this iProtec 3-9 x 32 with illuminated reticle over the weekend for the 15-22 and I REALLY like it. It was very easy to zero in, and it has picatinny mounts on the scope in the middle of it all the way around (which I probably won't use, except might put a small reflex sight on it). I had my 6-24 x 55 Bushnell on the M&P 15-22 with the red dot on top of it, and it was HUGE and way too heavy to carry so I needed a smaller scope that would let me shoot to my back fence which is about 85-90 meters from my back porch. Cause that's where they come into the mowed part of my back yard (the back fence). So I need to be able to shoot to the back fence.

I don't like the idea of shooting with a larger caliber than .22LR, because I feel like it's cheating lol - Using a .22LR on the dillos forces me to position myself for a head shot only. .22LR on possums is fun cause I like the "thud" that you get. It is often louder than the report of the cartridge hehe

Latest posts

Top Bottom