Pest Hunting at Night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't want to spoil the fun, but some grub killer on the lawn will solve the armadillo problem. Possums and skunks I usually trap, then shoot. Keeps me in the house at night. I have a long and some would say an entertaining history with skunks. All skunks must die.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't want to spoil the fun, but some grub killer on the lawn will solve the armadillo problem. Possums and skunks I usually trap, then shoot. Keeps me in the house at night. I have a long and some would say an entertaining history with skunks. All skunks must die.
My yard is many acres. The grub killer cost would be prohibitive in my case.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, well, I'm going to add to my "Pest Hunting at Night" thread. Last night around 11:30pm, I went outside looking for the skunk that me and my neighbors have been smelling for the last 3 or 4 days. I've been trying to get him. So, I'm looking around, and I went to the corner of the fenced-in part of my yard where the critters usually make a dash for once I start shooting. I don't see anything, so I turn around, and the edge of my torch catches this pair of eyes in my neighbor's tree. I'm thinking it's an owl or a night predatory bird or something. I'm curious, so I adjust my torch and zoom so the light narrows and really lights up this creature. It is the biggest damn raccoon I have seen in a very long time. My wife is on the back porch watching the whole thing — she likes to watch me get the critters hehe

So I'm about 60 feet away from the trunk of this tree that this giant raccoon is slowly climbing down, and I position myself so that when he touches the ground, I can open fire safely. He makes it to the bottom of the tree and as soon as he is on all fours, he looks in my direction (because I have a 1,000 lumen torch on him). I didn't want to take my time for a head shot, so I hit him center mass, and he runs off in the tall brush. I knew I hit him....I figure I'll track him when I get home from work the next day.

I get home from work this afternoon, put on my boots and get my machete and go talk to my neighbor to let them know what happened the night before, and ask for permission to go track the raccoon on their side of the fence. "Hell yes," they say. So, I end up finding this fat raccoon about 15 - 20 feet from where I shot him. I drug him out of the tall brush with my 8 foot snake grabber and me and my neighbor sit there and talk for a bit. So, the raccoon is sitting by my back gate....the one that opens to go into my back yard. I figure i'll bag him tomorrow and put him out with the garbage.

Well, I'm working tonight (computer stuff), so that means every other hour I'm outside stretching my legs, and to see if there is any action. I hear something out back, so I grab my M&P 15-22 (with newly equipped Center Point 1-4x20 AR scope from Academy - pictures included below) and head outside. I turn the corner, and there is a good sized possum feeding on my raccoon. I step back slowly, crouch behind my car, and put one right in his brain from about 25 yards. Dead possum. Sweeeeeeeeeeet! Enjoy the carnage.....

coon-161003.jpg

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3603.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, well, I'm going to add to my "Pest Hunting at Night" thread. Last night around 11:30pm, I went outside looking for the skunk that me and my neighbors have been smelling for the last 3 or 4 days. I've been trying to get him. So, I'm looking around, and I went to the corner of the fenced-in part of my yard where the critters usually make a dash for once I start shooting. I don't see anything, so I turn around, and the edge of my torch catches this pair of eyes in my neighbor's tree. I'm thinking it's an owl or a night predatory bird or something. I'm curious, so I adjust my torch and zoom so the light narrows and really lights up this creature. It is the biggest damn raccoon I have seen in a very long time. My wife is on the back porch watching the whole thing — she likes to watch me get the critters hehe

So I'm about 60 feet away from the trunk of this tree that this giant raccoon is slowly climbing down, and I position myself so that when he touches the ground, I can open fire safely. He makes it to the bottom of the tree and as soon as he is on all fours, he looks in my direction (because I have a 1,000 lumen torch on him). I didn't want to take my time for a head shot, so I hit him center mass, and he runs off in the tall brush. I knew I hit him....I figure I'll track him when I get home from work the next day.

I get home from work this afternoon, put on my boots and get my machete and go talk to my neighbor to let them know what happened the night before, and ask for permission to go track the raccoon on their side of the fence. "Hell yes," they say. So, I end up finding this fat raccoon about 15 - 20 feet from where I shot him. I drug him out of the tall brush with my 8 foot snake grabber and me and my neighbor sit there and talk for a bit. So, the raccoon is sitting by my back gate....the one that opens to go into my back yard. I figure i'll bag him tomorrow and put him out with the garbage.

Well, I'm working tonight (computer stuff), so that means every other hour I'm outside stretching my legs, and to see if there is any action. I hear something out back, so I grab my M&P 15-22 (with newly equipped Center Point 1-4x20 AR scope from Academy - pictures included below) and head outside. I turn the corner, and there is a good sized possum feeding on my raccoon. I step back slowly, crouch behind my car, and put one right in his brain from about 25 yards. Dead possum. Sweeeeeeeeeeet! Enjoy the carnage.....

View attachment 60764

View attachment 60763

View attachment 60765

View attachment 60766
Is it furbearer season?

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This fella was on the patio last night eating cat food. I'm not sure the best way to get this one. I don't have a clear shot from the back door.

I do have a live trap and have been told if you approach the trap behind a blanket, they won't spray. I don't want to risk that.

Attachments

• IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 138

Latest posts

Top Bottom