Phil Robertson suspended from DD for gay comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because an employer can (not necessarily should) terminate contractors for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is expressing opinions contrary to those of and potentially unprofitable to the employer.

Now I doubt Phil was actually EMPLOYED by A&E but rather the two enterprises had a contract for the filming. But even if they were actually on payroll, A person's sexual preference is a protected class. Professing someone to be a sinner does not make one a protected class.

too bad people's religious beliefs are protected or something.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
too bad people's religious beliefs are protected or something.

Unless his religious beliefs demanded he damn sinners in a ****** men's magazine, then he was not compelled by his faith to spout such nonsense knowing he would be quoted. In other words, his protected religious rights aren't violated by telling him to shut up and not comment

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Because an employer can (not necessarily should) terminate contractors for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is expressing opinions contrary to those of and potentially unprofitable to the employer.

Now I doubt Phil was actually EMPLOYED by A&E but rather the two enterprises had a contract for the filming. But even if they were actually on payroll, A person's sexual preference is a protected class. Professing someone to be a sinner does not make one a protected class.
Really? I thought that whole religious freedom thing might apply, or did they cancel that while I wasn't looking? If Phil were a Muslim and called gay people infidels I bet there would be no issue since Muslims are one of the groups we're supposed to suck up too, and religious freedom would be why.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? I thought that whole religious freedom thing might apply, or did they cancel that while I wasn't looking? If Phil were a Muslim and called gay people infidels I bet there would be no issue since Muslims are one of the groups we're supposed to suck up too, and religious freedom would be why.

Well you are probably right that if he WERE Muslim, nothing WOULD happen. Though certainly he can be prohibited from voicing opinions on the matter regardless of which faith causes him to damn homosexual behavior. As noted (probably while you were typing your respose):

Unless his religious beliefs demanded he damn sinners in a ****** men's magazine, then he was not compelled by his faith to spout such nonsense knowing he would be quoted. In other words, his protected religious rights aren't violated by telling him to shut up and not comment

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well you are probably right that if he WERE Muslim, nothing WOULD happen. Though certainly he can be prohibited from voicing opinions on the matter regardless of which faith causes him to damn homosexual behavior. As noted (probably while you were typing your respose):

If I am at work and say what he said, as he said it, I agree that I could lose my job. Phil was not on the show, he was on his own time.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am at work and say what he said, as he said it, I agree that I could lose my job. Phil was not on the show, he was on his own time.

Well, if one were in a men's magazine acting in some capacity as a spokesperson for one's company, it's arguable that their on their own time. That's the problem with celebrity; you lose such ability to separate yourself from your brand.

And there's another big part of our country's problem: there shouldn't be any such thing as a "protected class".

Well, whether you and I philosophically agree or disagree with this is irrelevant at this point, sadly. It is what it is these days, and what it is now is Constitutionally interpreted and vetted.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the Robertson clan may be getting ready to tell A&E to shove it, and I fully support them if they do.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If I'm at work and said what he said, as he said it, and I could lose my job...I'd be finding a different job. Sometimes being an independent contractor has its blessings. Sometimes you can get very independent. And, sometimes your independence will get you broke LOL.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, Kelly Ogle's My Two Cents tonight was on this subject. He predicts that the network will "crater" [sic] and bring Phil back.

Personally, I hope A&E actually craters, and it has nothing to do with this tempest in a teapot. I haven't watched that hell-hole of a channel in years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom