Phil Robertson suspended from DD for gay comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.

http://duckcommander.com/news/robertson-family-offical-statement

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like all things cultural, this has been a hot discussion on Facebook. A friend has posted on his wall that if he sees you post a "Like" on supporting Phil Robertson, he will drop you from his Facebook. I challenged his thinking by posting a blurb and a link from Camille Paglia, well-known lesbian feminist libertarian, in a radio interview yesterday.

Paglia's comment: “To express yourself in a magazine in an interview - this is the level of punitive PC, utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist, OK, that my liberal colleagues in the Democratic Party and on college campuses have supported and promoted over the last several decades. This is the whole legacy of free speech 1960’s that have been lost by my own party.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/19/p...erly-fascist-utterly-stalinist/#ixzz2o1Xm8Vd3

After posting that to his attention, one of his friends engaged the discussion, as follows:

Sarah: I think this article draws it's source credibility from saying the author is a democrat leftist. Which doesn't really say much for her understanding of the issue or the rights she is referring to.

Me: Since Camille Paglia was at the forefront of radical feminism and gay rights almost from the inception of the words, I don't see how anybody can question the depth of her understanding of the issue. Disagree with her position, that's fine and I bet she expects a lot of that from those normally found in her corner, I think her credibility on the issues and as an intellectual is top notch. Questioning her credibility does not necessarily move the needle to your side of the discussion.

Sarah: 1st amendment rights are not protected when contractually representing a business. Celebs know better or hire publicists. Fact of the matter is 1st amendment protects against government oppression. No one was infringed on or violate she needs to look up the supreme courts decisions on 1st amendment rights instead of defending a bigot

Me: I just re-read the article and found no direct mention of the 1st Amendment. Sure, Paglia centered her argument around concepts found in the 1st Amendment but was making her point in the broader sense of human freedom. I agree that the relationship between A&E and Phil Robertson is governed by a contract with specific obligations for both parties. Asserting that celebs universally know better ignores the reality of Alec Baldwin and Charlie Sheen, to just name a couple of large exceptions to your statement.

Sarah: Implied authority drawn by loose associations is the hallmark of bs writing so I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree it's Phillips page I don't think it's appropriate to continue arguing on it.

Me: I'm sure Camille Paglia would find your assertion of "implied authority" amusing.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I've decided that playing "logic tennis" is quite entertaining.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone remember back in the mid 90's when Ellen Degeneres had an episode on her TV show where she announced she was gay. There was a big controversy over it, people boycotted advertisers etc. Fast forward 20 years and now it's the exact opposite. All you hear about now is tolerance, diversity, blah blah blah. I'll tell you what, I for one am sick and tired of having to explain why two guys (or two girls) are making out every time we turn on the TV. You can't even watch prime time comedy's without seeing this crap.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I for one am sick and tired of having to explain why two guys (or two girls) are making out every time we turn on the TV

Turn off the TV. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon and I never see anything I don't want to see. And why do you have to explain this more than once? I was a pretty slow kid, but "because they're gay" really put together that puzzler for me.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone remember back in the mid 90's when Ellen Degeneres had an episode on her TV show where she announced she was gay. There was a big controversy over it, people boycotted advertisers etc. Fast forward 20 years and now it's the exact opposite. All you hear about now is tolerance, diversity, blah blah blah. I'll tell you what, I for one am sick and tired of having to explain why two guys (or two girls) are making out every time we turn on the TV. You can't even watch prime time comedy's without seeing this crap.

The world needs more chicks making out.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DD will come out on top on this one...stay tuned kids.

And to RH, Phil prolly should have left out the organ parts out. TMI... I think GQ kinda set him up.:twocents:

Latest posts

Top Bottom