Please read, Important!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scary! I think that there is a lot of hidden, poor quality in many newer built homes. A friend of mine, now deceased, was a long time mason (the builders, not the secret weirdos). He built many a real fireplace, and said that most people didn't know how to build the smoke shelf right, if at all.

Now it's those flimsy inserts that you see, rather than a solid built fireplace. No thanks! I'm sticking with a free standing stove.

Glad you are not you and yours are not dead!

Get more extinguishers from Justen, or my buddy Mike at A+! I think we have 4 big ones, and a medium one. Can't have too many.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just glad you are all O.K. The wife and I were just talking about needing to get a chimney sweep out to clean and inspect ours. Guess I need to pick up a couple more extinguishers, too. We only have one small one. Too bad Justen's not in Enid.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one thing I am absolutely terrified of is a fire in a house. We had a back of the house bathroom catch on fire from a candle that was too close to a towel when we first moved in here and I injured myself putting it out but had it out with a pillow by the time my daughter went to the garage and came back with the extenguisher and called 911. They still came in and made sure I had it out and the ambulance came and patched my arm.

Now,I have extenguishers all thru the house, alarms get new batteries periodically,no one uses extension cords in their rooms or overloads their 5ways,etcetc. We thankfully dont have a fireplace here. I did put a fireplace in at a home I had built in Iowa for my daughter and exwife to live in and I have a wooden pellet stove I use at my cabin in northern California but we keep an eye on things there and do our maintenance..

Latest posts

Top Bottom