Pope: investors in gun companies are not Christians.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's entitled to his opinion, just like I'm entitled to believe that kiddy-touching priests/bishops/guys in funny hats aren't Christian.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Across all mainstream Christian denominations, the church does a great job in helping hurting people, caring for widows and orphans, restoring lives, giving hope and extending God's love here on Earth. However, it does a terrible job on matters of politics. Political activism is NOT the role of Christ's church and we are wise to steer our various churches off this misguided path. IMHO.

VERY well said.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Across all mainstream Christian denominations, the church does a great job in helping hurting people, caring for widows and orphans, restoring lives, giving hope and extending God's love here on Earth. However, it does a terrible job on matters of politics. Political activism is NOT the role of Christ's church and we are wise to steer our various churches off this misguided path. IMHO.

This is what turned me off of commercial religion. During the Vietnam war, churches including the one I attended took the side of the anti war protestors.

Having just returned from that theater, the Priest launched into a diatribe against the American Soldiers fighting that war as conscripts, government injustice, etc. (I was a volunteer)

My self and others stood up and berated that Priest in front of his congregation. It wasn't a pretty conversation.

I've never stepped foot in a church since other than a wedding or funeral.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what turned me off of commercial religion. During the Vietnam war, churches including the one I attended took the side of the anti war protestors.

Having just returned from that theater, the Priest launched into a diatribe against the American Soldiers fighting that war as conscripts, government injustice, etc. (I was a volunteer)

My self and others stood up and berated that Priest in front of his congregation. It wasn't a pretty conversation.

When a church's tax exempt status becomes more important than preaching what is right, they become useless at best and vassals for the state at worst. I would like to
Find a non 501 C church and see what differences there are.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When a church's tax exempt status becomes more important than preaching what is right, they become useless at best and vassals for the state at worst. I would like to
Find a non 501 C church and see what differences there are.

The point of churches being tax exempt goes back to Jefferson (and others) in keeping government out of religion so religion can stay out of government.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You were a volunteer for what?

Latest posts

Top Bottom