Power out! (Electricity)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You use to be able to file a claim with the power company and they would pay for the loss but dont know if that would apply to a disaster or not but might give it a try what do you have to lose besides some time filling out the form.
Good luck! Filled one a few years ago, No luck. Wasn't even storm related, neutral line came loose at connection one pole away from pole with transformer. Neutral wire fell to ground across fence, transformer arced causing it to leak oil. Power surged in house knocking out 2 TV's and refrigerator. Was told it was a act of nature cause the wind was blowing 20mph that day.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are back up! Thank God we didn't have to wait till Saturday after all!!!!!
Same here. As late as this afternoon it was still showing 5pm on Saturday, but around 4pm I got an e-mail that said the power had been restored (followed by a "there may be an outage" followed a few minutes later by "power has been restored"). Whatever the case, when I got home, it was cooling down inside. Normally, I turn the A/C off when I leave for work, but after a few days of 80*+ (and no freaking ventilation), I wanted that place cooled down.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm surprised some scammer hasn't called and promised to have workers restore the electricity within half an hour as soon as they deposit funds... People are desperate for relief from the heat and want things to return to normal.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You use to be able to file a claim with the power company and they would pay for the loss but dont know if that would apply to a disaster or not but might give it a try what do you have to lose besides some time filling out the form.
That is IF the outage was theirs. Blown transformer or similar equipment failure.

Son had a transformer putting 160V to house. I had the equipment to prove voltage. They bought new A/C, refrigerator and 2 skil saws.

ETA: we are still out and no time frame for repair.

3 days, so far on generator. Using 4 gals of high octane gasoline every 10 hours.

Last edited:

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
35kw would likely power half the block and probably use a shite-ton of fuel. I would need 7kw minimum, and closer to 10 kw or what’s available in that range. Probably have to bump it up to 14. I have an older split bus main panel that would probably need replaced to bring it up to code with a main disconnect with grounds and neutrals separated. Electricians (and plumbers) don’t work for peanuts. I'm sure the city wants its cut also.
I had a company come out and look at mine and they said to run the house with the AC and heat would take at least 22 kw. Looking at $10 k. Installed.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is IF the outage was theirs. Blown transformer or similar equipment failure.

Son had a transformer putting 160V to house. I had the equipment to prove voltage. They bought new A/C, refrigerator and 2 skil saws.

ETA: we are still out and no time frame for repair.

3 days, so far on generator. Using 4 gals of high octane gasoline every 10 hours.
High compression?

Latest posts

Top Bottom