Public Land Bucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It takes alot of hard work, time, and patience to be successful on public land every year. My advise: Get as far away from the other hunters and roads as you can.

I never had to hunt public land fortunately. Just out of curiosity, how far do you have to walk in and out every day? What time do you start walking in, and how long before daylight do you set up?

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
x2 i wonder the same thing

I like to go in about 10:00 am when most guys are heading out. I will park at a gate walk in with a climber on my back. Then i scout as I walk and when i see a area i like, i try to find a tree and set up. I am usually up a tree and set up by noon. Then i will sit til dark and see what happens.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my friends third P&Y buck from public hunting land. He shot this one with his new Hoyt Alphamax on opening weekend of rifle. Gross score of 157 and some change!
ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_8c03e187.jpg

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never had to hunt public land fortunately. Just out of curiosity, how far do you have to walk in and out every day? What time do you start walking in, and how long before daylight do you set up?

x2 i wonder the same thing

It depends which tree that I decide to hunt. I have a couple of places that are a real pain to get too. It takes me close to an hour to get to those. At my favorite honey hole tree though... I can see my truck just 150 yards away!
I always try to be in stand by 30 before daylight.

osugrads

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to hunting of any sort. As my friend and I talk about finding a lease I am still talking about public land. His main concern is theft. Has anyone had any issues with stands and such being taken from public lands. he also is very concerned about overcrowding. To me it seems that eveyone is concerned about that so everyone stays away from public lands, which in my mind means that there might actually be very few people on the public lands. any thoughts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom