Question about a 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want a new one and save up for an Ed Brown. If I'm paying that much for Ed Brown parts, I want them to assemble it. The old guns were pretty good, but they were notorious for proprietary stuff. They seem to have their act together under the CZ umbrella.

Actually, there's a small amount of difference between the two nowdays IMO. Dave Severns over on 1911forum has broken down the differences and the fitting is very comparable. Not taking away from EB by any means, but there's a bit of name premium in those guns, kinda like Wilson in comparison to new DW models.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a like new Les Baer for $1500. I think there are better guns to be had in that price range, a Colt Wiley Clapp comes to mind. You can fine those for around $1300.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's right surjimmy but IMO I would take the DW over a Les Baer for the same money. I agree that a hold out for a Wilson or an Ed Brown would be a really neat thing as they are not a lot more money. Well, they can be much more of course...not much more for their entry level models at $2k plus a little.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you guys priced a EB and especially a new Wilson lately? You're not getting a new one for a little over $2k....more like $2500-3000.... if you know of a place to find a new one of either then please post it. I can't find a reasonably priced CQB anymore.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dollars for the EB or Wilson are low but I would still wait and save the money to get them...unless I bought the DW. I don't mean any disrespect to LB pistols but I've seen old well used LB's, Wilsons and EB over the years and the LB's don't seem to hold up to high round count as well as the others. No doubt that comparing the new LB's with new Wilsons and EB's they all appear to be equal. With all that said I still think the DW pistol is a good catch for the money.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel that most are splitting hairs in terms of Les Baers, EB and Wilson. However, IMO from ownership, it's nuts to say LBs don't hold up just as well as the others over time. (outside of bluing) In fact it's quite the opposite. Here's one that's well documented after 25K...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=273937

FWIW, this guy did some round count reviews on a CQB and another Baer that are also just as detailed.

I don't have 25K through my TRS but probably ~10k now, no problems or breaks, and it still won't break down by hand.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I'm an open minded person. I gave my opinion, actually my observation, of a handful of LB pistols I've inspected...as a prelude to a purchase. I did not purchase any of them as they appeared to be very loose and well worn. I just expected more I guess. Agreed I looked at only a small handful of pistols and likely should not judge all LB used pistols by the samples I saw. I did look at a LB pistol today in BA. It is relatively new at 5k rounds or less and is in superb shape. Still tight and has all of its finish. I am considering purchasing this pistol and will make it my primary range gun. I will easily put 3k rounds through it by the end of the year so it will become a test case pistol for me. I expect it to remain a great shooter. I'll keep you advised.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my first Les Baer about 6-7yrs ago, to tell the truth I had never heard of him. I never had the money for a hi end 1911. Since then I have studied and researched Baer's talked to pistol smiths. You are the first person I have ever heard of or read to say a LB was loose. Even if the person was bashing LB, I am no means saying your wrong. It's just the first time I have ever heard of complaint. DW wouldn't even be in my top 3. I have had 2 DW's a Pointman in a 10mm and a Heritage. Neither one was in the same class as the Premier II, which IMO is LB entry level 1911.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really wanted an LB pistol when I saw three pistols at three different sellers over a year and a half time...took that long cause I had to save the money. I wasn't terribly turned off by how worn out the pistols were but their condition was worse than the EB (which I couldn't afford at the time) and the Night Hawks which were affordable then but were new so they were an unfair comparison to all the other used pistols. I am truly sure I found the only abused LB pistols floating around twelve years ago. The LB I looked at today was exceptional and as mentioned earlier has a good number of rounds through it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my first Les Baer about 6-7yrs ago, to tell the truth I had never heard of him. I never had the money for a hi end 1911. Since then I have studied and researched Baer's talked to pistol smiths. You are the first person I have ever heard of or read to say a LB was loose. Even if the person was bashing LB, I am no means saying your wrong. It's just the first time I have ever heard of complaint.

Same here, never even heard of a loose Baer, again tightness is what they are known for.... to a fault in some eyes. MAYBE one.... but several? Not buying that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom