Racism at OU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read many of these posts, and it sounds like many of the members here are great at becoming sheep at the whim of the media. I didn't read all the posts, so someone may have mentioned this........

A few guys (2-15 of them) are videoed reciting a chant that offend many people, but do not hurt anyone directly (they were not saying it directly to a person), off of campus, while probably drunk as hell. The schools response.... expel two of these guys, kick the house off of campus, make 125 or so people without a place to live........

A few months ago, a black guy who can run fast with a ball in his hand, breaks the face of a white girl. The school's response....... Do not let him play the game for a year, but still feed, house and pay for his school.....

This is a ****ed up world we live in these days! There is indeed racism in this country, but I see it as much more reversed racism! Try being a white, Christian male in this country these days.

Well there was a double standard if you compare the two incidents...Stoops wasn't walking arm-in-arm with a battered women's association that day.

I say we petition Boren and insist the students be allowed to stay in school. The students will leave on their own shortly.

I agree that they are gone regardless...it would be nice on principle if they were not booted and left out of shame though...there has been an over reaction on this one big time

Last edited:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well there was a double standard if you compare the two incidents...Stoops wasn't walking arm-in-arm with a batter's women's association that day.

I agree that they are gone regardless...it would be nice on principle if they were not booted and left out of shame though...there has been an over reaction on this one big time

No an over reaction would have them kicked out of Oklahoma. I say send them to Boley on a Friday night and let em walk home. Or drop em off in N.Tulsa and make em carry a sign saying "I'm a OU chant singer".

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No an over reaction would have them kicked out of Oklahoma. I say send them to Boley on a Friday night and let em walk home. Or drop em off in N.Tulsa and make em carry a sign saying "I'm a OU chant singer".

yeah let's be like the old Soviet Union and eliminate people for their speech...c'mon man...an open handed slap maybe, but the people that got them in Boley (wherever that is) would be just as racist if not more. An offensive wrong and a violent wrong don't make a right.

EDIT: You may get your wish...the main guy has been named; sad thing is, they disbanded the house over freshmen that probably are not even initiated members yet: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fied-conductor-Oklahoma-SAE-racist-chant.html

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Labeling these "kids" as Racists isn't an entirely fair description, they clearly think they are superior to everyone else.

Narcissists is a more accurate description.

Frats and Sororities are just breeding grounds for narcissists.

Again, this is just another indictment of the Greek system, which is fundamentally detrimental to our state and desperately needs to be abolished immediately.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a credible example what positive purpose they serve .....

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well there was a double standard if you compare the two incidents...Stoops wasn't walking arm-in-arm with a battered women's association that day.

Right, the two events are not comparable. Perhaps more pointedly, Mixon was not acting in a University-sponsored event or group at the time his idiocy occurred. He acted as a singular dumbassed individual that sucker punched a quite annoying chick at a bar. He made a poor choice, but he made it as a student athlete at an eatery.

These SAE asshats were chanting as a group of members that organizes under the auspices of OU, while assembled at that time into their group, while attending an event sponsored by that group and thus the University that recognizes and blesses the existence that group. Anything OU allows that group to do while acting in their capacity as a sponsored student organization can and will be implicitly (or even explicitly) related back to being an action of the University.

That's why OU can enforce this differently than the individual actions of a singular student (or student athlete).

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
yeah let's be like the old Soviet Union and eliminate people for their speech...c'mon man...an open handed slap maybe, but the people that got them in Boley (wherever that is) would be just as racist if not more. An offensive wrong and a violent wrong don't make a right.

You should Google Boley Oklahoma.

There ain't nothing wrong with free speech. The problem isn't about them exercising free speech. They aint being punished for exercising free speech. They were not protesting or debating or chanting about some wrong, they were singing a song about hanging blacks from a tree.

They are being ridiculed, suspended, expelled and ostracized because they got drunk, ran their collective mouths and now have to stand in judgment by Oklahomans and our public opinion. It's a deserved judgment IMO.

They brought shame, insult and ridicule to all Okies. We ain't Mississippi, Georgia or Alabama. No sir, you are wrong. This ain't about defending free speech, this is defending stupidity. Of which there is no defence.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Labeling these "kids" as Racists isn't an entirely fair description, they clearly think they are superior to everyone else.

Narcissists is a more accurate description.

Frats and Sororities are just breeding grounds for narcissists.

Again, this is just another indictment of the Greek system, which is fundamentally detrimental to our state and desperately needs to be abolished immediately.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a credible example what positive purpose they serve .....

I'm with you ...

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, the two events are not comparable. Perhaps more pointedly, Mixon was not acting in a University-sponsored event or group at the time his idiocy occurred. He acted as a singular dumbassed individual that sucker punched a quite annoying chick at a bar. He made a poor choice, but he made it as a student athlete at an eatery.

These SAE asshats were chanting as a group of members that organizes under the auspices of OU, while assembled at that time into their group, while attending an event sponsored by that group and thus the University that recognizes and blesses the existence that group. Anything OU allows that group to do while acting in their capacity as a sponsored student organization can and will be implicitly (or even explicitly) related back to being an action of the University.

That's why OU can enforce this differently than the individual actions of a singular student (or student athlete).

Are you out of your mind? You are saying that Mixon, a five-star recruit, should have represented a lesser punishment than what the turds who did the chant are receiving? The football dip hit broke four bones in the girls face. As a collegiate athlete, especially a football player at a school like OU you are expected to behave and show exemplary citizenship on AND off campus, no matter where you are. Mixon was representing one of the most storied collegiate football programs in history and doing all of it on a full ride scholarship. Mixon attending OU was, in small part, to improve the football program this increasing attendance at the schools single largest revenue produce; the football games.

How you can say the frat boys and their chat had more or stronger ties to the university is rediculous. It comes down to the frat boys only produced tuition revenue for the university to gain. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things compared to what a five-start recruit would bring to the financial table. Loosing a few students tuition can be easily replaced with other students next year.

If Mixon was a backup third stringer or walk on player he would have been gone in a heart beat. Plain and simple.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you out of your mind? You are saying that Mixon, a five-star recruit, should have represented a lesser punishment than what the turds who did the chant are receiving?

No, what I am saying is that Mixon has certain standards he has to meet as an individual or face punishment from the football program who provides his scholarships and other sponsorship of attending the university. Away from his team, he acts only in the capacity of controlling his own actions, but he must certainly be responsible for them. His individual actions have consequences, and I think the punishment could and perhaps even should have been stricter, but really it's up the Athletic Department and football team administration to determine how to handle that with appropriate disciplinary action.

The student organization has standards they meet since they collective act as an officially sanctioned and sponsored entity of the university when they are assembled into their group. That is why the office of the president were involved. In other words, Mixon's actions represent the University. A student group's actions are the University. That is why the punishments come from different spheres of the University. Note I am making no specific statement as to which should be comparatively more severe based on from where or who determines the discipline, aside from I personally thing Mixon got off easy given what he did.

If Mixon was a backup third stringer or walk on player he would have been gone in a heart beat. Plain and simple.

Gone from where, exactly? I highly suspect he would not have faced outright expulsion, but likely would have lost the athletic scholarship and been dismissed from the team. Would he have the left OU at that point? Probably. But that doesn't mean he would have been forced to necessarily.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

They do community service projects, they clean up trash from poverty neighborhoods, they go to senior centers and put on dance shows for the elderly, they do landscaping or cleanup work for the communities where there university is located, they strive for academics and typically make some of the highest grades on campus, they usually have many campus political and leadership roles, etc., etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom